• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

POLL: No Man Walks Alone x Kanata user-designed custom cowichan

Which custom cowichan should get made?

• Alex B. - Bats

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Andrew dS. - Cranes

Votes: 14 11.6%
  • Dan R. - American Style Tattoo

Votes: 11 9.1%
  • Dan R. - Tiger Sukajan

Votes: 18 14.9%
  • Dan R. - Koi Sukajan

Votes: 24 19.8%
  • Dan R. - Navajo Inspired

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Bang T - Swooping Crane

Votes: 38 31.4%
  • Graeme D. - Tanuki

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • Greg L. - Hope

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • Greg L. - Wildlife and Mountains

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • Oliver D. - Repeating Pattern

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Ryan S. - Mountains

Votes: 27 22.3%
  • Ryan S. - Palms

Votes: 19 15.7%
  • Ryan S. - Mountains and Palms

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • Vivek A - Cowichan Cowichan

Votes: 31 25.6%

• Total voters

conceptual 4est

The Classic Gentleman is Back
Reaction score
KANATA COWICHAN DESIGN CONTEST: THE VOTE

Now for something different than we’ve ever done before: a full-blown design contest. (Original post here.)

Most of you are probably familiar with what a Cowichan sweater is, but for those that don’t it’s a big ol chunky zippered cardigan. See: The Dude.

We work with a company called Kanata that has been hand-knitting these for 40 years or so. Because of the hand-knit nature of it, and the very low gauge (thick) yarns used to knit it, it becomes an awesome canvas for designs, both simple and complex, as you can hand-knit just about anything if it matches up to their knitting pattern.

While we’ve worked with them to make Cowichans using some of their more classic motifs like the double eagle, bison, and various repeating patterns, we recently opened up the floor to our friends here on SF as well as readers of our blog, and the submissions are all in. The response was truly inspiring. @gdl203 and I have narrowed down the field a bit, as there were some submissions with multiple versions, but every entrant is represented here.

We're opening up the vote here, with the 3 top picks going on to Collective Action, and the winner getting made for FW17.

To explain the format, the first two panels are the left and right chest panels, the second is the back, and the final shape is the sleeve design. The light grey lines you'll see are just the sizing scale.

Alex B. - Bats

Andrew dS. - Cranes

Dan R. - American Style Tattoo
"Based off traditional American style tattoo, using some classic-inspired designs"

Dan R. - Tiger Sukajan
"The sukajan models draw obvious inspiration in different degrees from classic souvenir jackets"

Dan R. - Koi Sukajan
"Note: can be adjusted to not have the OSAKA wording"

Dan R. - Navajo Inspired
"I wanted to try to do something from a different region of Native America, with special caution not incorporate sacred symbols. The cross and triangle motifs are basic building blocks of Navajo design"

Bang T - Swooping Crane
"It's sorta sukajan inspired, has a sakura pattern, soroban-jima (abacus stripe) pattern, chidori motif on the front, and a dope as swooping crane motif on the back."

Graeme D. - Tanuki

Greg L. - Hope

Greg L. - Wildlife and Mountains

Oliver D. - Repeating Pattern
"It is supposed to be (navy/light grey/white)"

Ryan S. - Mountains
"I am an artist in Los Angeles. These designs are inspired by my views of nature here: the sky, the trees, and the mountains. I hope they are respectful to the original types of Cowichan desgins, but also new and unique. "

Ryan S. - Palms

Ryan S. - Mountains and Palms

Vivek A - Cowichan Cowichan

Last edited:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for puttin this on! Hope mine wins (Bang T.) but if not Cowichan Cowichan is the light that we need to save us from this dark timeline

Last edited:

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for puttin this on! Hope mine wins but if not Cowichan Cowichan is the light that we need to save us from this dark timeline

So impressed with the submissions all around. Amazing job, guys!
I'm gonna echo those same thoughts - Hoping for a win (Dan R.), but Cowichan Cowichan is the Boaty McBoatface of this contest.
cheers.gif
COWICHANCEPTION.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cowichan cowichan is hilarious and the most conceptually artistic of the group, but some really nice stuff overall. Good work.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's the adaptation of a poster designed for the women's march

I'm sure this design would go over big in the CEsspool. Should we invite them over to take a look? Nahhh...

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
wha a cool contest! some incredible designs

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So close between the crane and the koi, if the koi hadn't have had the Osaka it would have had my vote. As it stands: crane.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So close between the crane and the koi, if the koi hadn't have had the Osaka it would have had my vote. As it stands: crane.

Thanks for the feedback Matt. I've heard that as well on the NMWA forum when I put it up originally. I actually posted a follow up without the "Osaka" on the NMWA thread earlier and emailed Kyle a few days ago to let him know we could do that version if desired. If this is what people want (which seems to be a common request), maybe we can have the Osaka-less version voted on as a finalist if it gets to that point.

For now you can vote on both
mwink[1].gif
eh? I really dig the dope ass crane as well.

PS - here's a snap of that version if you don't want to dig through the thread

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
there are tanukis, cranes, kois, and tigers, but no dragons?! rip

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads