• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poll: mid-gray flannel odd jacket?

Mid-gray flannel odd jacket?

• Yes, contrasting buttons will make it casual enough.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Yes, contrasting buttons and elbow patches will make it casual enough.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • No, this demands patch pockets.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • No, gray flannel makes a poor odd jacket.

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

oldsmobile98

Reaction score
Debating on picking up a mid-gray flannel jacket on eBay in my size. It seems evident that it was part of a suit, but I'm thinking there might be some changes I could make to make it more casual so it doesn't look like a suit orphan. This is a J.Press 3/2 with a hook vent and what looks like either double stitching or subtle swelled seams.

Pros:
- flannel is textured and is somewhat casual
- swelled seams/double stitching is more casual
- can switch out dark gray buttons for light brown wood and perhaps get brown elbow patches to make it more casual

Cons:
- no patch pockets
- flannel has less texture and is less casual than tweed

Thinking this is something I could wear with khakis, brown and green corduroys, and perhaps brown and light gray flannels. Is this something worth considering, or should I just get a tweed jacket instead?

Also, would you wear a flannel odd jacket with flannel trousers with enough color contrast, or do you demand textural contrast too?

Kongen

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
There are too many "rules". Patch the elbows and put brown leather buttons on and you can wear it casually. You'll even look cool. Develop a limp and you'll be Dr. House. But don't overpay. You can get cheap ones at any thrift store. Probably cheaper and woth less hassle than eBay. I wouldn't pay more than 10-15 bucks for an orphan suit jacket. Thrift stores will sell it for less than ten.

oldsmobile98

Reaction score
I wish I lived in a place where there were more thrift shops with jackets of this quality, let alone at 10-15 bucks. I'll keep an eye out on some trips I'm taking soon, though.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To make it worse than a simple orphan, it appears to have been shortened (Sleeves and length) and therefore is out of balance. Not a flattering garment coupling that to its hideous lapels.

Fit for burning as its owner probably recognised when offering it for sale.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads