• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poll: Match or MisMatch Socks to your Trousers

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Photo Source: http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/

2enov8m.jpg

3z6f3td.jpg

kali77

Reaction score
I match socks to trousers 80% of the time. However today I am wearing grey trousers and navy socks. For wedding's and other social events I usually tend to go with socks that are a little more on the fun side.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Generally I tend to wear black or navy socks but occasionally I like a pink or lilac sock as a fun bit of contrast, esp. if it ties in with my shirt or tie or whatever. Mind you I've never actually bought any pinks socks - they're all happy accidents of tan socks being mixed with a particular red shirt that bled the first time or so it was washed...

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always match sock color to my trousers simply because so much of my wardrobe needed an upgrade, that new socks are far down the list. So right now all of my socks are solid colors (mainly navy), but that will change within the next year, once I own enough of the other basics. I think sock color/pattern is one of the few areas where men have the opportunity to show real creativity in dressing and can distinguish themselves from everyone else. It seems a shame that I'm currently letting the opportunity pass.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
I make a conscious effort to match my socks to something other than my pants (e.g. shirt, tie, handkerchief, etc) in everything I wear. I would feel extremely regimented and uncomfortable if my socks matched my pants.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of the time these days I'll match my socks with the trousers. Sometimes, however, I'll match the socks to something else in my ensemble. There didn't seem to be a category in the poll for this although I note that a couple of other fellows have answered similarly.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually just coordinate not match

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jml90
I usually just coordinate not match

I'll either go with a coordinating color or go for contrast (e.g. burgundy socks with a dark blue suit) bit even so the socks will coordinate with something: tie, shoes, pocket square etc. I think the "the match the socks to the pants" rule sounds like some thing out of "Dress for Success"
sarcasm.gif

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never make an effort to match my socks to my trousers. I consider my shoes more, and try to strike a balance between the shoe color and trouser color.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads