Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Poll: Job loss/salary cut due to economy?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by StockwellDay, Jan 22, 2009.

1. StockwellDay

StockwellDay Senior member

I'm a yacht broker. Fuck my life. [​IMG] Actually, the sales are only down in the 30-70ft range. The megayachts they cant build fast enough. However since i'm new to the industy, im pretty much fucked
    How does one get into the yacht brokering business? In a boom economy, it sounds like a great job.

2. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

I'll let you know this afternoon [​IMG]

Good luck buddy!

In this tough time, if you still have a job you gotta make yourself even more indispensible.

3. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I am encouraged by my first few weeks of '09 and have revised my goals accordingly. I truly believe this will be my biggest year ever. [​IMG]

4. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

^are you a maker of government cheese or obama commemorative posters?

5. dhc905

dhc905 Senior member

I got a raise (8%) and a pretty firm promise that my job is secure till mid 2010. Not sure why - business has been ridiculously slow. I guess that's the benefit for working for a kindly billionaire who hasn't laid off an analyst in over 40 years of owning businesses.

6. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    ^are you a maker of government cheese or obama commemorative posters?
    Actually, I'm in real estate.
    And I can't remember the last time I've been this busy...

Low mortgage rates have brought the fence-sitting buyers to the table.

7. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Where is the option for "got a raise"?

8. Davidko19

Davidko19 Senior member

Lost my job in late October. Got a new job 2 months later for a little more money, more pretigious company, better work environment, more interesting work. Hopefully this one lasts!

The grass is always greener though, sometimes I wish I had the 7 day weekends of unemployment again!

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Need an option for "raise."

10. Francis91

Francis91 Senior member

11. nate10184

nate10184 Senior member

I'll let you know this afternoon [​IMG]
    Laid off this morning. Certainly not fun but I saw it coming for a long time. My group was effectively shut down as we were merging with another bank. I was a second year analyst so I would have been gone in June anyway. I'm not hurting at all financially and I didn't enjoy the work so I'm not super upset. Just a blow to the ego.

12. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

13. samblau

samblau Senior member

Laid off this morning. Certainly not fun but I saw it coming for a long time. My group was effectively shut down as we were merging with another bank. I was a second year analyst so I would have been gone in June anyway. I'm not hurting at all financially and I didn't enjoy the work so I'm not super upset. Just a blow to the ego.

Sorry buddy. I know the feeling. My analyst friends all hated their first two years, and one stayed on for a third because he knew he could not get another job, and he has a degree from UPenn/Wharton. The first few weeks are actually a good break, make sure you get back out there soon though.

14. WoodyStylee

WoodyStylee Senior member

How does one get into the yacht brokering business? In a boom economy, it sounds like a great job.
    It actually is a very financially rewarding business when the market is right, and once you are established. I grew up around boats, and one day just quit my job as a Publicist, went to a boat show and walked the docks talking to brokerage firms until I had a job. Required me to relocate to NYC, which I have no regrets about. I'm hoping people will start feeling a bit more secure with the new president.

15. nate10184

nate10184 Senior member

Sorry buddy. I know the feeling. My analyst friends all hated their first two years, and one stayed on for a third because he knew he could not get another job, and he has a degree from UPenn/Wharton. The first few weeks are actually a good break, make sure you get back out there soon though.

Yeah it is a shock to the system since I've always been pretty successful in most things I've done. Not sure I want to even stay in the finance world, may try to do something else for a year or two before applying to B School. Consulting would be a dream come true but given how many guys like me there are out there I know good jobs will be hard to come by. I'm young and have enough cash to sustain myself for a few years so I'm up for anything right now.