• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

POLL: How Useful Are GQ and DETAILS Magazines To You?

videocrew

Reaction score
How useful is Details? The phrase "**** on a bull" comes to mind.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
I generally like GQ. Details sucks.

Esquire is just terrible. I dont even touch the magazine. At least I will still flip through details.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
GQ and Esquire serve me well as reading material while in the can.

Trojanman74

Reaction score
seeing how GQ and details are both put out by the same company, i find it hilarious when they have different trend predictions

rs232

Reaction score
On the occasions I've picked up copies, I have found them to be mostly ads. The articles aren't that well researched either. Agree that forums are generally more accurate, more stylish, and less fashionable. Except that trend around here for jackets that look an inch too short...

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You will most likely get one or two fashion ideas per magaizine..
You will most likely get more practical tips such as addresses ,new shops and so on than real sartorial science..
Style Forumers are more likely to give you great sartorial advice than GQ or Esquire journos..
When you occult the coveted interests and personal lobbying/networking behind these articles , you might find one great article per se every month, the rest being sheer product placement..

ChicagoJohn

Reaction score
I get a few of these magazines and the first thing I do is flip through them with a razor-blade. I slice out any pages with interesting looks and put them into a scrapbook on the coffee table.

Occassionally I flip through this scrap book for new ideas or looks I may want to replicate. It's a quick go-to guide of only clothing and looks. No articles, no ads, no editorials. Just the clothes.

It's surprising how much of mens fashion magazines are pure garbage. I get MAYBE 3-4 pages to keep out of an entire 100+ page mag.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're all shills for the fashion houses. Waste of time.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
They're all shills for the fashion houses. Waste of time.

+1 One of the most annoying things it to flip through a GQ spread and read what the guy is wearing. Sometimes it will be "Suit, $200 from H&M, shirt, $850 from Armani, shoes, $1600 from Dolce and Gabanna, and Tie, $45 from J. Crew" and it just leaves you thinking that no one who wore an H&M suit would go buy an Armani shirt for 4x the price. They obviously just combine random **** that the fashion houses give them.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
+1 One of the most annoying things it to flip through a GQ spread and read what the guy is wearing. Sometimes it will be "Suit, $200 from H&M, shirt, $850 from Armani, shoes, $1600 from Dolce and Gabanna, and Tie, $45 from J. Crew" and it just leaves you thinking that no one who wore an H&M suit would go buy an Armani shirt for 4x the price. They obviously just combine random **** that the fashion houses give them.
True. Also, the models are usually way too young to even be able to afford any of it in the first place, unless they are spending daddys money (doubtful), and even if they get the money, they still have nowhere to go in these clothes. If a person is just learning though, they can still use the photos as a study to match colours and textures with what they may have or they can buy something affordable and tweak the ideas to achieve the same effect. 99% of people on the street won't know the difference.
wink.gif
It would be wise for those mags to give more helpful tips. 2 years ago there was a good spread about clothes for different body types. That was just great.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Magazines are using certain network like every business on the planet ..
We also have what i call the product ads disguided as a full blown fashion article...
Journos can also be lazy and contact a few brand names willing to send their products and also make favours such as freebies...
A very notorious London-based Journalist is famous for that...He had a lot of free bespoke suits from Hunstman for promoting their brands,shoes from Cleverley and also Gaziano and many others...

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
read gq, details, and sometimes esquire and i think i like gq the best of the 3. gq seems to know what it is and what it isn't and doesn't take itself too seriously, while details has a little bit of a too cool for the room vibe IMHO. Esquire has good ideas for articles, and then they don't execute them as well as they could (too few examples). but i think good ideas can be pulled from all 3, as long as you're not using any as a "bible" of sorts.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You're absolutely right..They go for the punch line straight in and the rest of the article is lazy..
A great title, a few lazy pictures and products offered by sponsors and an article full of cliche,that is Esquire or GQ for you...
They want you to believe that they are introducing you to something exceptional when most of the time you're reading a very superficial article..

Finsen

Reaction score
GQ and Details are great for beginners who need to learn what fit means, how to combine clothing items, and build up a wardrobe starting from the basics.

Besides the fashion and clothing stuff, those magazines also include topics like food, cars, and other investigative articles. So I would classify them as lifestyle magazines since their focuses are not solely on fashion.

By the way, I think GQ is a tad bit better than Details.

p.s. I'm not a big fan of their celebrities stuff...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads