• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poll - How many MTM suits do you own?

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Never knew a poor guy who can spend $300 on a pair of MTM pants!
Well, I'm a volunteer and make $0 an hour at an optometry office and plan on going back to optometry school. And I'm sitting on a huge pile of toys that I sell on eBay. And that is my sole source of savings/investment. I kid you not. Some put money in savings, I put it in the toys futures markets. So I sell toys to pay for gas/food/clothes. Or I should probably say clothes/food/gas in that order. And you can't dress like a slob while working at an optometry office and dealing with people's eyes. And my Banana Republic pants aren't cutting it anymore after I discovered StyleForum. I like to live dangerously close to being poor while still looking decent. I don't dress as well as some of the high rollers on SF, but I'm working on it.

JimMcBean

Reaction score
Seems like the results are to be expected really. Majority probably favour OTR instead of MTM with a few avid suit goers on these boards opting to upgrade to MTM.
bigstar[1].gif

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JimMcBean
Seems like the results are to be expected really. Majority probably favour OTR instead of MTM with a few avid suit goers on these boards opting to upgrade to MTM.
bigstar[1].gif

I'm not entirely convinced that MTM is an upgrade. I think a lot of people buy MTM because they have no other option. Also, after a few poor orders, I'm convinced that MTM without fittings is a treacherous path, unless you're working with someone very skilled and willing to make alterations if necessary.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two for me, and don't think I'll be able to afford another one ANYTIME soon-- one Oxxford, one Brioni.

A few MTM shirts here and there, but not likely to spend the $$ on another of the suits-- mostly, because there is really no discounts or sales possible on a MTM suit!

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zero, all my suits are bespoke or OTR. However, I didn't buy any OTR suit for almost 10 years.

I just known a pantsmaker from one of the tailor house in HK. And he can make a pair of CMT pants for me at just HK$200! That is US$26! Ordinary machine made pants, fit well, look good.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Between my tuxes and suits I would say about 12/13, I have all of mine measured to fit. There is a place I go to that has my sizes on record and when I need a new suit i simply place an order and try it on when finished. I recently took my son to get fitted for a suit, he loved the experience and can't wait to do it again. That is just another activity can can share together.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads