• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

POLL- Do you wear threadbare clothes?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like to see discussion on this.
Do you wear clothes (shirts, pants, jackets, ettc) or accessories (ex- scarves, etc.) if they have become threadbare?
Equally, do you wear clothes that have been mended and show it?
What say you? Is this an acceptable form of adding character to a days outfit, or should it be avoided. Surely it would be acceptable on weekends or in a casual setting, but what about your day-to-day business wear?
Please discuss.

I have allowed multiple choice for the poll to cover both dress & casual lifestyle settings.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The cashmere sweaters I wear around the house have holes in the elbows.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently quit wearing my threadbare underware because my wife made me throw them out and finally buy some new ones.

But, I do have a few sweaters that I have had about 10 years or so that have become a little thin certain spots because I still enjoy them. I also have a pair of jeans that have been patched in a few places that I continue to wear because they are so comfortable, but they are mainly used for working around the yard now.

emptym

Reaction score
^+1

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally not in a business setting, although some of my favorite shirts are beginning to fray at the cuffs and I don't really mind if my shoes are scuffed a bit. Casual and weekend -- all the time.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
I have some shirts with slightly frayed cuffs that I don't want to part with.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am generally in denial regarding holes in socks.

Icehawk

Reaction score
I've been on a kick to get rid of my stained, ripped, worn clothes. The sentimental pieces go in a storage box the rest to Goodwill.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to toss shirts that had started to fray on the collar and cuffs. No longer.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a few custom made dress shirts with patches on the elbows.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
I have a few custom made dress shirts with patches on the elbows.

This, I think, is totally awesome. I want to have white oxford cloth elbow patches on a blue pinpoint oxford shirt. Unfortunately, I never wear out the elbows.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bit of fraying or other signs of wear can look great. The exception is sweat-stains at the neck or the underarms.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've got t-shirts I wear that are 17 years old, look like cheese cloth in some areas, and have holes in the back collar area because they couldn't handle the mere force of me pulling the shirt off over my head. I can't part with them - too many memories. I look at one and remember the beach volleyball tournament back in 1993 at which I drank four 40's of Old English 800.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads