Poll: Do you own a three-piece suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MrDaniels, Oct 5, 2006.

1. thinman

thinman Senior member

I don't own one, but few things make a man look sharper than a well-cut, 3-piece suit. I may get one within the next year.

2. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't own one, but few things make a man look sharper than a well-cut, 3-piece suit. I may get one within the next year.

Rene Auberjonois' character on Boston Legal shows how well a vest can work on us thin guys, I think.

[​IMG]

(Not the best example, but you get the idea.)

3. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I respectfully disagree about Paul. He is the stereotypical three-piece suit guy: uptight professional who strives to look imposing but is too ignorant to find a good tailor and know how to look stylish.

4. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

5. jml90

jml90 Senior member

I like to buy them if I could find them.

6. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I respectfully disagree about Paul. He is the stereotypical three-piece suit guy: uptight professional who strives to look imposing but is too ignorant to find a good tailor and know how to look stylish.

Is that his clothing, or a function of his character? I tend to think more the latter. What do you dislike about his suits in specific?

7. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I don't relaly like the style of the character's clothes - lapelled vests don't do it for me and neither do true three button coats and short, lifeless lapels. But what really kills me is the fit of his suits. The jackets are rectangular, too long overall and in the sleeves, the armholes are gigantic, and the shoulders too wide. It seems that he somehow paid a lot for MW quality suits. The cloths and patterns don't help either. The solids tend to look dead to me and if anyone should be wearing narrow stripes (and I'm not sure many should), a man with his build should not.

8. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

I automatically order a 3 piece, unless it`s a summer suit or the fabric doesn`t seem to look so good in a 3 piece.

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Three-piece just simply begs for a pocket watch, and chain.

10. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

I like to buy them if I could find them.

I definately have problems finding them off-the-rack...any suggestions from those of you who have them in abundance?

11. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

I get too warm, in them. Also, they make me look shorter.

12. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I definately have problems finding them off-the-rack...any suggestions from those of you who have them in abundance?

Can't remember seeing any nice ones OTR. IMO, the vests need to be short and fitted and the trousers high and cut for braces. I don't think they can be had outside of custom. Even RLPL, the obvious choice, doesn't quite fit the bill. But they and Paul Stuart should be on your list for a classic three piece, if you are adamant about going the OTR route.

13. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Can't remember seeing any nice ones OTR. IMO, the vests need to be short and fitted and the trousers high and cut for braces. I don't think they can be had outside of custom. Even RLPL, the obvious choice, doesn't quite fit the bill. But they and Paul Stuart should be on your list for a classic three piece, if you are adamant about going the OTR route.

I wouldn't say adament, but I only can allow so many bespoke suits in my budget...

14. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Everyone should own at least one three piece suit.

15. SuitGuy24

SuitGuy24 Well-Known Member

I am planning on getting a navy pinstripe for my next suit, and I was thinking about making it a 3-piece as I have a wedding to go to in February and I think it will make me stand out from the other guys in the dog pack. I don't think I can afford bespoke, but I was thinking about trying a Brooks Bros. vested suit (I think they carry them at the Madison Avenue location), has anyone had experience with a Brooks 3-peice suit? I would think they could tailor it correctly as "off the rack" goes.

Looking at the poll I can't believe that over half the guys responding have a three-piece suit. I haven't been here too long, but I don't think I have ever seen anyone post a photo wearing one; maybe it will have to be me to break the vested barrier! [​IMG] [​IMG]