• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poll: Attolini vs. Rubinacci vs. Steed

The Thin Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
I respect amateurs when they remember that they are amateurs and/or enthusiasts, but some go beyond that and because they are good writers and skilled in debate/argument they have over the years gained influence.

In terms of silhouette, cloth pattern, style all views are valid, but technical issues, technical discussions require technical knowledge and training.

God forbid posters do research and share it with others. Better to keep it superficial.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
You seriously can't see the flaw in this logic? You often strike me as an ass, but rarely as quite this dumb.
Ah, ad hominen time eh? Look, you haven't served an tailoring apprenticeship, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't sew a button on, yet you continually give tailoring advice out, fro a technical perspective. I could link to several post's were you are actually advising on a tailoring alterations, something that you've never actually been trained to do or have done. Now that's absurd. Tailoring is a craft, it cannot be learned by reading a book. Sorry, back to Thuycidies for you!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Thin Man
God forbid posters do research and share it with others. Better to keep it superficial.

Yeah, f*ck all attempts at objective refinement. Huzzah for WAYWRN!

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Yeah, f*ck all attempts at objective refinement. Huzzah for WAYWRN!
Gentlemen let's not forget that it's called Styleforum, not Tailorforum.

The Thin Man

Reaction score
Gentlemen let's not forget that it's called Styleforum, not Tailorforum.
And who is stylish without wearing well-fitting clothes? And how many places have the potential for the few people who can describe why clothes fit well to share that knowledge? Tutee's post is arguably one of the most useful ever put on this forum, if one's goal is to gain knowledge. Yet it draws a snide reaction from you, as though tailors (most of whom likely appreciate knowledgeable customers) need someone to silence all amateurs.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like them all. I almost went for the Attolini, but I really liked the sharpness of the cut of the Steed. However, a couple of the Steeds seemed to have issues with the the buttoning. I still voted for them because they resonated with me. I know people will probably say they had the worst fit of the three...but I am not about a perfect fit as much as I am about a visually striking appearance.

Just me.

Mike

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Thin Man
Yet it draws a snide reaction from you, as though tailors (most of whom likely appreciate knowledgeable customers) need someone to silence all amateurs.
They like knowledgeable customers in the sense they like customers who know what they want and can articulate it. I shouldn't imagine that they like customers who think that by reading an online clothing forum they know more than they do or that they can tell them how to do their job. That's the danger. Do you not think it strange that the best dressed men probably play no part in on-line clothing forums.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
The same could be said of Sator. But he provides information which is useful to some people.
I missed your post first time around. I don't know how technical discussions aid the prospective customer though, when I say technical discussions, I mean construction, cutting etc. I understand the voyeuristic appeal for them but I don't understand how it will actually makes them more stylish.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Popcoarn, anyone?

lurker[1].gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
I like them all. I almost went for the Attolini, but I really liked the sharpness of the cut of the Steed. However, a couple of the Steeds seemed to have issues with the the buttoning. I still voted for them because they resonated with me. I know people will probably say they had the worst fit of the three...but I am not about a perfect fit as much as I am about a visually striking appearance.

Just me.

Mike

In some of the Steed shots, Monty is wearing the jackets buttoned over sweaters. This is part of his style, and I like it a lot, but I'm guessing that Monty did not get the jackets fitted while wearing sweaters. Given that Monty elected for a fit at the more waisted end of the Steed range, I'm not surprised that the buttoned jackets are fighting the sweaters.

I say this with no tailoring training whatsoever. I also have opinions about restaurants without being a chef, and baseball teams without being a baseball bat.

- B

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I say this with no tailoring training whatsoever. I also have opinions about restaurants without being a chef, and baseball teams without being a baseball bat. - B
Touche
smile.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Touche
smile.gif

I find that it is not so much the qualifications behind an opinion that are important as much as it is that the opinion corresponds to one's own. Opinions? - B

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In some of the Steed shots, Monty is wearing the jackets buttoned over sweaters. This is part of his style, and I like it a lot, but I'm guessing that Monty did not get the jackets fitted while wearing sweaters. Given that Monty elected for a fit at the more waisted end of the Steed range, I'm not surprised that the buttoned jackets are fighting the sweaters.

I say this with no tailoring training whatsoever. I also have opinions about restaurants without being a chef, and baseball teams without being a baseball bat.

- B

Makes sense to me. The Steed was just a bit sharper, which appeals to me. The Attolini was really lovely...but seemed "older" to me. I guess despite all of the SF groupthink that has permeated my brain, a sharper cut still resonates with me. I liked the serious waist suppression and open quarters of the Steed best.

Mike

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find that it is not so much the qualifications behind an opinion that is important as much as it is that the opinion corresponds to one's own. Opinions? - B
I'm on the fence personally.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads