1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Poll: Attolini vs. Rubinacci vs. Steed

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Montesquieu, Apr 5, 2010.

1. The Thin Man

The Thin Man Senior member

Has Tutee ever wielded a pair of shears?

If not, remember simply reading Greys anatomy doesn't make you a surgeon.

Amateurs should learn when to shut the fuck up.

[​IMG]

Why would you post on this forum if you don't respect amateurs?

2. George

George Senior member

[​IMG]
    Hold on, If some one came on here giving out legal or medical advice without the requisite qualifications they would be smashed by those who posted on here who are in possession of those qualifications. Or any profession for that matter. However, because tailoring is only a 'humble' craft and not a learned profession it's a free for all. Have you ever stopped to think how craftsmen feel when they read posts like this. Tailoring is a craft, it can't be 'learned' by reading a bloody book. I'll plagiarise and post Wikipedia's entry on Horace and then pull a A. E Housman act shall I? See how long it is before you jump all over me.

3. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Hold on,

If some one came on here giving out legal or medical advice without the requisite qualifications they would be smashed by those who posted on here who are in possession of those qualifications. Or any profession for that matter.

However, because tailoring is only a 'humble' craft and not a learned profession it's a free for all.

Have you ever stopped to think how craftsmen feel when they read posts like this.

Tailoring is a craft, it can't be 'learned' by reading a bloody book.

I'll plagiarise and post Wikipedia's entry on Horace and then pull a A. E Housman act shall I? See how long it is before you jump all over me.

An absurd follow-up to an absurd post. Keep at it.

4. George

George Senior member

Why would you post on this forum if you don't respect amateurs?
    I respect amateurs when they remember that they are amateurs and/or enthusiasts, but some go beyond that and because they are good writers and skilled in debate/argument they have over the years gained influence. In terms of silhouette, cloth pattern, style all views are valid, but technical issues, technical discussions require technical knowledge and training.

5. George

George Senior member

An absurd follow-up to an absurd post. Keep at it.
    Look Manton, just tell us your tailoring qualifications and then we can all see what technical training you've received in the craft. Come on, put some meat on the bones. What are your tailoring credentials?

6. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

^^^It's not like tutee is disputing what any tailor has said in contradiction of him. I really have no idea what you're fussing about. Anyway, much of his analysis was clearly based on published references, not merely the whim of his opinion.

I agree a non-tailor certainly cannot pretend to understand the intricacies of the craft. However, one can still learn to appreciate good tailoring and bad tailoring. It doesn't take a tailor to notice that a front balance is short or that a collar is loose, just as it doesn't take a doctor to realize one's got a fever or a stuffed nose.

7. George

George Senior member

^^^It's not like tutee is disputing what any tailor has said in contradiction of him. I really have no idea what you're fussing about. Anyway, much of his analysis was clearly based on published references, not merely the whim of his opinion. I agree a non-tailor certainly cannot pretend to understand the intricacies of the craft. However, one can still learn to appreciate good tailoring and bad tailoring. It doesn't take a tailor to notice that a front balance is short or that a collar is loose, just as it doesn't take a doctor to realize one's got a fever or a stuffed nose.
    I found his post somewhat pretentious and patronising. Maybe he needs to change his style. It doesn't take a tailor to necessarily know bad tailoring. but a tailor is the best person to propose the remedy and it's execution.

8. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Great thread - I like all 3 to be honest. Something funky is up with the buttoning on Steed #3.

9. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Look Manton, just tell us your tailoring qualifications and then we can all see what technical training you've received in the craft.

Come on, put some meat on the bones. What are your tailoring credentials?

You seriously can't see the flaw in this logic?

You often strike me as an ass, but rarely as quite this dumb.

10. mafoofan

I found his post somewhat pretentious and patronising. Maybe he needs to change his style. It doesn't take a tailor to necessarily know bad tailoring. but a tailor is the best person to propose the remedy and it's execution.
    Tutee has been around the forums a long while and has an incredible wealth of experience. I wish he posted more. Perhaps he sounded pretentious to you because he actually had something to say. The forum has gotten depressingly boring over the past year. Nobody has a substantive reason for liking or disliking anything, and few endeavor to refine their knowledge or reasoning. With tutee, I can know exactly what he thinks and why, even if I don't agree with him (and I do). Without guys like him here, we're just a bunch of school girls gabbing vacuously.

11. The Thin Man

I respect amateurs when they remember that they are amateurs and/or enthusiasts, but some go beyond that and because they are good writers and skilled in debate/argument they have over the years gained influence.

In terms of silhouette, cloth pattern, style all views are valid, but technical issues, technical discussions require technical knowledge and training.

God forbid posters do research and share it with others. Better to keep it superficial.

12. George

George Senior member

You seriously can't see the flaw in this logic? You often strike me as an ass, but rarely as quite this dumb.
    Ah, ad hominen time eh? Look, you haven't served an tailoring apprenticeship, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't sew a button on, yet you continually give tailoring advice out, fro a technical perspective. I could link to several post's were you are actually advising on a tailoring alterations, something that you've never actually been trained to do or have done. Now that's absurd. Tailoring is a craft, it cannot be learned by reading a book. Sorry, back to Thuycidies for you!

13. mafoofan

God forbid posters do research and share it with others. Better to keep it superficial.

Yeah, f*ck all attempts at objective refinement. Huzzah for WAYWRN!

14. George

George Senior member

Yeah, f*ck all attempts at objective refinement. Huzzah for WAYWRN!
    Gentlemen let's not forget that it's called Styleforum, not Tailorforum.

15. The Thin Man

Gentlemen let's not forget that it's called Styleforum, not Tailorforum.
    And who is stylish without wearing well-fitting clothes? And how many places have the potential for the few people who can describe why clothes fit well to share that knowledge? Tutee's post is arguably one of the most useful ever put on this forum, if one's goal is to gain knowledge. Yet it draws a snide reaction from you, as though tailors (most of whom likely appreciate knowledgeable customers) need someone to silence all amateurs.

16. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

I like them all. I almost went for the Attolini, but I really liked the sharpness of the cut of the Steed. However, a couple of the Steeds seemed to have issues with the the buttoning. I still voted for them because they resonated with me. I know people will probably say they had the worst fit of the three...but I am not about a perfect fit as much as I am about a visually striking appearance.

Just me.

Mike

17. George

George Senior member

Yet it draws a snide reaction from you, as though tailors (most of whom likely appreciate knowledgeable customers) need someone to silence all amateurs.
    They like knowledgeable customers in the sense they like customers who know what they want and can articulate it. I shouldn't imagine that they like customers who think that by reading an online clothing forum they know more than they do or that they can tell them how to do their job. That's the danger. Do you not think it strange that the best dressed men probably play no part in on-line clothing forums.

18. George

George Senior member

The same could be said of Sator. But he provides information which is useful to some people.
    I missed your post first time around. I don't know how technical discussions aid the prospective customer though, when I say technical discussions, I mean construction, cutting etc. I understand the voyeuristic appeal for them but I don't understand how it will actually makes them more stylish.

19. Bull

Bull Senior member

Popcoarn, anyone?

[​IMG]

20. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

I like them all. I almost went for the Attolini, but I really liked the sharpness of the cut of the Steed. However, a couple of the Steeds seemed to have issues with the the buttoning. I still voted for them because they resonated with me. I know people will probably say they had the worst fit of the three...but I am not about a perfect fit as much as I am about a visually striking appearance.

Just me.

Mike

In some of the Steed shots, Monty is wearing the jackets buttoned over sweaters. This is part of his style, and I like it a lot, but I'm guessing that Monty did not get the jackets fitted while wearing sweaters. Given that Monty elected for a fit at the more waisted end of the Steed range, I'm not surprised that the buttoned jackets are fighting the sweaters.

I say this with no tailoring training whatsoever. I also have opinions about restaurants without being a chef, and baseball teams without being a baseball bat.

- B