• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polka dot shirt / window pane suit

Greexican

Reaction score
Seeking input...I have a window pane suit I want to pair with a "kind of" polka dot shirt and need a tie. This is for my daughter's wedding this summer and her colors are dark blue and burgundy (not my choice for a summer wedding, but oh well). I'm struggling to find a tie I like with these combination and just seeking some input from this group. I'm not afraid to mix patterns, but concerned about overdoing it as well. Also, not seeking to break the bank on this one...well under $80 please. (Suit is getting tailored so can't post a picture of it with the shirt, but I have attached some links to the suit and shirt as I can't seem to be able to post actual pictures). Thanks everyone!!!

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/...reated-for-macys?ID=10494008&CategoryID=83320

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Shirts such as the one you linked should not be worn with a tie. If you wear a tie, make the shirt plain, such as white or light blue (probably white given the suit and occasion). When you wear a dark patterned shirt with a tie, it makes you look like a host at Applebees.

rjc149

Reaction score
There's an old rule with patterns and formal outfits:

Your shirt, tie and suit -- two of these can be patterned, but not all three.

So if you're going to wear a patterned shirt and suit, opt for a plain tie.

I would say a shirt in any color darker than chambray blue should not be worn with a tie. However, a dress shirt can have understated patterns, like pinstripes or checks. I used to wear a white polka dot dress shirt to work before I toned my business wardrobe down to plain white shirts only.

The combo you presented doesn't work with a tie -- that shirt isn't mean to be a dress shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads