1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Politics of prom

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NavyStyles, May 1, 2002.

1. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior Member

Alright. Here we go... [​IMG] . Prom is this weekend (May 4) [​IMG] . And I haven't really given much thought about the tux. I'm lucky enough to own one (Thank you, Lord.). It has black satin peak lapels and is a one button jacket. And a few months ago, I also snagged a stud set plus cuff links as well as a vest/tie combo and a tux shirt. For dances, I usually try to match the color scheme of my date's dress as much as possible. This time however, my date's dress is pink. Easy to get the corsage... not so simple for me. I'd like to go without renting a thing, but if worst comes to worst... I can always revert to that. Thing is, the vest I own goes really high. With it fully buttoned (and it only looks good this way) only one stud shows. [​IMG] All the rest are beneath the vest. And it's really more fitting for Winter. Sooo, it's May and all. I'm thinking about wearing instead of the normal pleated tuxedo shirt, a white French cuff shirt (I have a few sets of links that I can use) with a white tie. In my eyes, the look is formal and I have a personality that could carry off the look. Many people tell me I dress as if I live in New York. ha. If only I could afford the cost of living. Anyway, back to the origin of this all: what do you think? Would you consider the tuxedo with white Fr cuff shirt and white necktie (no vest) a complete tuxedo look? Thanks to everyone who helps. [​IMG]

2. FRATERNITYSTUD

FRATERNITYSTUD Well-Known Member

NavyStyles,
    I think that would look just fine. Although a vest adds a little flair to the outfit, your look would be more classy and conservative (think James Bond here). So, don't sweat the small details, worry about the more important things...I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I think that your outfit will look fine. Actually, I think that a one button peak lapel jacket looks much better without the vest. The contrasting white shirt and tie will better emphasize the deep, handsome V of the jacket.

4. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior Member

Thanks for the encouragement guys. That's exactly what I needed. [​IMG] .. The James Bond comparison also helps my confidence on wearing it. And now that I think about it, LA Guy, no vest does look a little better. I like the look with one also, but I think no-vest will be best. haha, a rhyme. [​IMG]