• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polishing - wax or cream?

8-Ball

Reaction score
Does it depend on the leather? Which is better to use and why?

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 8-Ball
Does it depend on the leather? Which is better to use and why?

Creams seem to penetrate the leather better, wax gives a slightly higher shine. I generally use cream first then a little wax as a finishing touch on the toes and heel.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Creams seem to penetrate the leather better, wax gives a slightly higher shine. I generally use cream first then a little wax as a finishing touch on the toes and heel.
Same here, I use both cream and wax on calf. On shell, I use wax only.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Same here, I use both cream and wax on calf. On shell, I use wax only.

I almost never wax cordovan because it doesn't seem to need it. I do use AE's cordovan cream, which the cordovan seems to take to. I was recently trying to bring up a shine on a pair of cordovan chukkas with Alden paste wax and getting nowhere. Switched to AE cream and did much better. Not exactly a statistically significant sample size I know.

I use creams much more often than waxes. When I need or feel like a high shine, I tend to go to the shoe shine stand and pay the $4 for it.

jsherman02

Reaction score
The SA @ Crockett and Jones (New York) told me one should never use cream because it can change the color and ruin the leather....I questioned her on this as I have ALWAYS heard that POLISH can ruin leather..not cream.

I use cream, then wax.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Right. And Paolo Scafora says neutral cream is all you need. I think the truth is that whatever works for you, works.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
I almost never wax cordovan because it doesn't seem to need it. I do use AE's cordovan cream, which the cordovan seems to take to. I was recently trying to bring up a shine on a pair of cordovan chukkas with Alden paste wax and getting nowhere. Switched to AE cream and did much better. Not exactly a statistically significant sample size I know.

I use creams much more often than waxes. When I need or feel like a high shine, I tend to go to the shoe shine stand and pay the $4 for it.

Same here, I also use wax very sparingly and rarely on shell cordovan.

youngScholar

Reaction score
I use cream, particularly if there are scuffs that need taking care of, then wax on the toe.

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never use wax on my shell, only cream, I find wax always leaves Cordovan "hazy".

An Alden rep even recommend not using wax. I use Alden Cordovan boot cream on my Cord shoes and they look fantastic.

jjjohn

Reaction score
You need to use both.
Use cream in a regular base. About once a month (depend on how often do you wear them), use a good shoe wax to polish your shoe.

You need to spray some water to the brush before using the wax (this is a trade secert).

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I use both. Cremes are taken up especially quickly by shoes that don't have leather with a natural "luster" - I find that my c and js really just soak up any bit of color possible from cremes. I actually love this, because I am able to change the base color to a more unique, richer deeper color.

the_economist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jsherman02
The SA @ Crockett and Jones (New York) told me one should never use cream because it can change the color and ruin the leather....I questioned her on this as I have ALWAYS heard that POLISH can ruin leather..not cream.

At one time or another, I think I've heard that everything ruins leather. Some say this, some say that, some are no doubt right, but others must be wrong. I get confused and just use what makes the shoe look the best, as long as it's actually made for leather. For me that's cream, because I like rich color without high shine.

QuintinG

Reaction score
I would use cream. I have found waxes in the past tend to add a barrier to leather, which only builds over time.

Good creams tend to work into the leather and enhance it. I also recall reading somewhere that some waxes can actually cause dust and dirt to stick to it.

Kind Regards,

Q
Who's That Guy
Web: http://www.whosthatguy.com.au/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads