• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polishing - wax or cream?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mg428
Just a sec., ain't it the rule to use wax for cordovan and cream for calfskin??

That's Alden's rule. But AE sells a special cordovan cream and Ron Rider (IIRC, I don't want ot put words in his mouth...) uses Safir cream, which is a very different consistency. As I already said, I get much better results, myself, from cream than from wax on cordovan. Perhaps it's my technique.

mg428

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
That's Alden's rule. But AE sells a special cordovan cream and Ron Rider (IIRC, I don't want ot put words in his mouth...) uses Safir cream, which is a very different consistency. As I already said, I get much better results, myself, from cream than from wax on cordovan. Perhaps it's my technique.

Exactly! I completely relied on Alden's word as they are the prominenet manufacturer of shell cordovan shoes.

Anyway, I will of course consider SF members' experience.

Grimslade, is it this one that you were talking about?

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...8&&imageType=2

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Exactly! I completely relied on Alden's word as they are the prominenet manufacturer of shell cordovan shoes.

Anyway, I will of course consider SF members' experience.

Grimslade, is it this one that you were talking about?

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...8&&imageType=2

I have used the AE cordovan cream in the past with success. In recent years I've used wax, but the AE cream worked very well on burgundy shoes.

mg428

Reaction score
JayJay,

Why did you specifically mention burgundy? Have you ever also used AE's black cordovan cream on black shell cordovans? Or do you use another cream/wax when it comes to black shell cordovan shoes?

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
Always creams on my shoes and boots. I've never had any issues getting a nice shine from cream without wax.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
JayJay,

Why did you specifically mention burgundy? Have you ever also used AE's black cordovan cream on black shell cordovans? Or do you use another cream/wax when it comes to black shell cordovan shoes?

When I bought the burgundy cream several years ago, I only had burgundy shells. I haven't tried the AE black cream for shell.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I recently followed the instructions on the Alden of Carmel site to wax a pair of cordovan chukkas, and was very disappointed with the end result. It took a tremendous amount of elbow grease to remove the waxy buildup, and as I worked on it my cloth started to wear out, leaving tiny fibers caught in the wax. Very annoying.

I much prefer cream, even if I can't get quite as high a gloss.

mg428

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
When I bought the burgundy cream several years ago, I only had burgundy shells. I haven't tried the AE black cream for shell.

Thank you JayJay.

So which product do you use for your black shells if you are not using AE's black cordovan cream?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank you JayJay.

So which product do you use for your black shells if you are not using AE's black cordovan cream?

I use black Kiwi wax, but very sparingly and rarely. On a daily basis, I wipe the shoes with a damp cloth followed by rigorous brushing and buffing. I apply a very thin coat of wax in about every dozen or so wearings.

By the way, because of the easy care of shell, I always travel with them to avoid concerns about having to polish my shoes while away.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone occassionally use black polish on their burgundy shells (as recommended by AE) to enhance patina? How does this work out?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I haven't, but I did it to a pair of cigar shells and wasn't happy with the result.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
Does anyone occassionally use black polish on their burgundy shells (as recommended by AE) to enhance patina? How does this work out?
I have a few times, but I can't say I was all that pleased because I didn't apply it evenly. I no longer do this.

misterjase

Reaction score
Can someone suggest how often shoes should be treated with cream? with wax? Thanks.

Avebury

Reaction score
Cream

Penetrates the leather more than wax polish, but the finish is not as good.

Wax polish

Not absorbed as well as cream (it stays on the surface), but does provide better weatherproofing and protects the vulnerable areas of the shoe, such as the stitching.

I think if you apply polish regularly you tend to 'work' the leather more. Does depend on technique. I apply polish using a soft cloth wrapped around one fingertip (a brush puts far too much on) and rub into the leather in small circles. I leave this overnight, then buff off with a brush. The miracle of this is that it leaves hardly any residue! No polish in the creases.

I used to use cream, but I found that it created a very 'patchy' finish. I think you have to be very careful. I think of it a bit like paint. You can also get a powdery white residue with frequent use that is difficult to remove. I know from experience that wax polish gives a better finish.

In a way it's a bit like painting - layers of polish pick out the scuffs and marks in the leather, revealing a depth of colour. Over several years the shoes will really look the part.

In the above, I am thinking of coloured polishes, not neutral. Same applies to cream. I always use a quality cream or polish containing beeswax. KIWI, I found, can dry the leather out.

I tend to use a neutral cream or Chelsea leather food from time to time to penetrate the leather This solves the problem of nourshing the leather. DASCO cream can also clean the leather.

Part of the problem is that the advice is so mixed. Amesbury recommend polish, Lobb recommend cream. Barker recommend cream, as do Church's, but it depends who you speak to. One person says cream, definitely, another, no, sir, you MUST use cream. Tricker's say polish. It's really bewildering and I find this difficult to believe considering how much you pay for quality shoes.

I think it does depend on the shoe and the leather. In the above, I'm thinking of calf leather shoes, not cordovan. If I were pushed, I'd say use cream for the first month or two then use polish. I apply polish once every two weeks if I'm wearing my shoes regularly. If they are in storage, I apply Chelsea leather food about once every four months of so.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads