Polishing the sole of a shoe

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by culverwood, Sep 1, 2008.

1. the_butler

the_butler Member

Many here like the mirror polish and you obviously have it down to a science but I do not like my shoes polished and don't see why anyone would polish the soles, apart from the fact that you can't see them and the minute you take a step the polish is gone, I would be afraid of slipping on something.
    I only ever polish the instep, as you say polishing the sole would be dangerous.

2. distinctive

distinctive Senior member

I don't care for that finish either. They make sole stain (not edge) for raw leather but soles have to be sanded equally.

3. Golf_Nerd

Golf_Nerd Senior member

KIWI makes this stuff called "Edge Dressing" specifically made for the side and sole of the shoe

Is this available in black and brown?

4. TCN

TCN Senior member

Many here like the mirror polish and you obviously have it down to a science but I do not like my shoes polished and don't see why anyone would polish the soles, apart from the fact that you can't see them and the minute you take a step the polish is gone, I would be afraid of slipping on something.

+1

Even if it's just the instep, there's always the chance of that part of the shoe coming in contact with the ground (such as on a ledge or step).

It just seems to be the sartorial equivalent of putting clear nail polish on one's fingernails.

5. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Is this available in black and brown?

Yes.

6. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I use shoe creme on the soles of shoes every so often. Same with edge dressing. I am fastidious about neither, but get to it once in a while.

7. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

polishing the sole of shoes is complete OCD. One might as well remove pants to flatulate.

8. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not patent leather BTW.[​IMG]

Wow, I need the sunglasses to look at those. [​IMG]

9. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I do, strangley enough, this is one of the only things that I remember my father teaching me that his father tought him - he said that it was important when kneeling in church, and I don't do much of that, but I still polish that way.

Along those lines, in one handbook I had for altar boys (or servers, they were often grown men) in the Episcopal Church, it enjoined them to polish the soles of their shoes since the soles of the shoes would be facing the congregation when the acolyte was kneeling, and presumably it was felt that the scuffed, natural soles would be unsightly.

I'd have to wonder if a sole with polish on it might mark up carpets.

I note some posters in this thread have mentioned putting shoe cream on the soles. I have seen other posters counsel against this on the theory that it would soften the sole leather and accelerate wear. The latter possibility would seem to outweigh any benefits to be gotten from treating the sole leather.

10. Modernist

Modernist Senior member

Along those lines, in one handbook I had for altar boys (or servers, they were often grown men) in the Episcopal Church, it enjoined them to polish the soles of their shoes since the soles of the shoes would be facing the congregation when the acolyte was kneeling, and presumably it was felt that the scuffed, natural soles would be unsightly.

I'd have to wonder if a sole with polish on it might mark up carpets.

I note some posters in this thread have mentioned putting shoe cream on the soles. I have seen other posters counsel against this on the theory that it would soften the sole leather and accelerate wear. The latter possibility would seem to outweigh any benefits to be gotten from treating the sole leather.

In a documentary I watched recently, that was the exact reason that Caruso had his butler polish the instep, ie when kneeling to receive communion.

11. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

anyone have pictures of an actual polished sole?

12. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

I always polish the instep of good leather shoes as it preserves the leather which is prone to cracking over a long period of time.
    [​IMG]

That is a naughty shoe!

13. tlmusic

tlmusic Senior member

I always polish the instep of good leather shoes as it preserves the leather which is prone to cracking over a long period of time.
    [​IMG]

Dear Sir,

Welcome to Style Forum! Surely we can all benefit from your presence and experience. Your website is very interesting. I was not aware that many people still practice your profession.

Kind regards,

tlmusic

14. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

[​IMG]

These are too shiny for me. I do 1 or 2 coats of cream/wax polish and add some edge dressing.

15. the_butler

the_butler Member

Dear Sir,

Welcome to Style Forum! Surely we can all benefit from your presence and experience. Your website is very interesting. I was not aware that many people still practice your profession.

Kind regards,

tlmusic

Thank you for your kind welcome. I have been freelance for just over a year after leaving private service. There are quite a few Butlers around though I must admit not a lot of really good ones due to no standard training or officially recognised qualification similar to what a Chef would have.
    A thing I would not have expected was the demand I have for shoes cleaned by post. It is taking over the Butling side as my main activity. Very popular with Army officers and the odd Police Officer.[​IMG]