• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polishing Technique - Let's discuss

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, I've stripped the ****** wax polish off my leather shoes with artist grade turpentine, and I want to do them right this time. I realize that everyone has a little different way of doing their shoes, but I have no real idea, and no one IFL to ask. So after I condition them, how many layers of cream polish should be done? And after do I buff each layer? Can one buff with just a rag, or should I invest in a brush?

Do get a high shine could I put a thin wax layer over the cream layers? But then in say a week I put conditioner, cream, wax over all they layers, or do I must strip the layers again?

Please help, If there is a guide to shoe care I would buy, but I can't find this. I just really need these questions answered.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Leffott's blog had a post on this recently.

I would follow their advice (too inebriated to copy and paste, sorry).

Link?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
if you have to use both cream and wax polish, use the cream polish first on the leather. as many times as you need on consecutive days. (for me it is just one or two application of cream and buff)

when you are done with cream, wax polish the surface. upkeep maintenance with wax polish. no sandwiching of cream and wax.

at the end, when there is too much buildup, start over by stripping and repeat the above.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
if you have to use both cream and wax polish, use the cream polish first on the leather. as many times as you need on consecutive days. (for me it is just one or two application of cream and buff)

when you are done with cream, wax polish the surface. upkeep maintenance with wax polish. no sandwiching of cream and wax.

at the end, when there is too much buildup, start over by stripping and repeat the above.

Thanks, about how long can one upkeep with the wax before stripping? I've heard that going to long without conditioning can damage the leather?

lizmasc

Reaction score
Read the article/how to on that website, it's worth it, it's short and to the point and you can see the difference between the first and last pic after the shoes have been polished
bigstar[1].gif
smiley2.gif

Lear

Reaction score
I've had little success using strips of cotton cloth for mirror polishing. Just doesn't seem soft enough.

First is the cleaning, conditioning and application of cream & wax. Then brushing to a normal shine. For a mirror shine, I then use cotton wool cosmetic pads (the type used to remove make-up). Be very patient, especially if the leather has a rougher finish.

If you hold a John Lobb shoe up to the light, the surface already looks pretty damn perfect! A mirror finish is most certainly achievable, as instructed on numerous Web pages (do a search on SF).

However, If you hold up a shoe of lesser quality, the surface will show thousands of micro-bumps, all but invisible to the naked eye. No matter how much you polish that lesser quality leather, it will not take a mirror shine until those micro-bumps are levelled out. This could take dozens of thin coats of polish + water. You'll feel as if you're wasting your time. Then, as if by magic, your mirror shine will break through, like the sun rising over Manhattan. Each, subsequent layer of wax, will intensify that mirror shine.

After you've got to the initial mirror shine stage, warm breath + wax helps.

You must do a search on SF. There are a few pitfalls that should be avoided.

JDL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lear
..... No matter how much you polish that lesser quality leather, it will not take a mirror shine until those micro-bumps are levelled out. This could take dozens of thin coats of polish + water. You'll feel as if you're wasting your time. Then, as if by magic, your mirror shine will break through.

Tried and tested by generations of military men , usually on leather with mini hills rather than micro-bumps! And yes I still do it, my shoes (well the uppers) seem to last forever and after the initial work the maintenance is very low.

metkirk

Reaction score
In my experience, typical cotton cloth's too rough and no matter how many layers of polish I apply to the shoes, the shine will still be dull. I suggest you try one of those cloth that comes with eyeglasses, you know, the shiny silky type. That and a little bit of water does wonder.

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by metkirk
In my experience, typical cotton cloth's too rough and no matter how many layers of polish I apply to the shoes, the shine will still be dull. I suggest you try one of those cloth that comes with eyeglasses, you know, the shiny silky type. That and a little bit of water does wonder.

Any kind of cotton flannelet is fine. Kiwi makes one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads