• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polishing Tan Leather Shoes

scooter11

Reaction score
I finally decided to join the forum and this is my first post and after realizing how depressing my current shoe situation was, I went out just bought a couple pairs of Allen Edmonds, one of which was the Finch in tan/leather. I was sort of surprised at the color when they arrived.

This is the shoe that I ordered off the AE site, I was expecting a brown, burnished look all the way through:

The shoes I received looked more like this, which is off zappos (I honestly thought this was a different shoe when first looking):

I called AE and they said I could exchange it for a different pair with the possibility that the color may be different, but I am assuming it will just be similar so I won't bother. They did tell me to try a little bit of chili colored polish on it in a discrete location and see how it dried, and I did that with a lighter shade and it definitely changed the color of the leather for that little spot.

So my question is, if I use a walnut color polish (the lightest AE brown, but still alters the color of the leather) on the whole front half of the shoe, will the polish come out looking spotty or otherwise crappy? Is this permanent or can it be removed? I just don't want to ruin the shoe.

It is a very nice tan color, just not what I am looking for in one of only 3 pairs of good shoes I have. I really like the look of the shoe and I did wear it very briefly outside so the soles aren't flawless anymore - so I am not sure I could get a refund.

Last edited:

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
First lesson: never cut the tags on a garment, wear a new pair of shoes outside and scuff the soles, etc., until you're 100% certain you intend to keep the item in question. This can be a very expensive lesson, often learned the hard way, but it's a critical one.

Second, no, darker polish or cream will not permanently ruin your shoes. That said, it will look somewhat "spotty," as you are unlikely to achieve a perfectly even application across the entire surface area of the leather. If done correctly, this can create an antiquing effect, which a lot of people find desirable. If done incorrectly, it can look...sloppy. Either way, it's removable with enough effort and the right products.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome Scooter.

Almost anything you do with wax polishes can be removed so not to worry too much about damage.

That being said, there is one thing you should NOT do. And that is to put down a coat of dark wax first off. The leather will tend to absorb some of the first coats of wax and if this happen unevenly you can get blotches that will be hard to deal with.

Start with a coat of something only slighty darker than the shoes. (Chili or Walnut seems fine). Then go to something darker later. After you have put down three or four coats of wax you could probably do a coat of plain old brown without any permanent effect.

Apply the wax with the tip of you finger wrapped in a soft cotton cloth and rub in lightly but thoroughly to ensure your apply thin but even coats.

If they were mine I'd just keep them light for a while. It's summer and light shoes are in season. You might find that they grow on you.

scooter11

Reaction score
Thank you for the extremely fast response Jackie/Gdot. Taking your advice, I will just use a light polish for now and keep the color the same for the summer and see how they grow on me, then when late fall/winter rolls around if I still want to darken them I can, knowing that it won't cause any irreparable damage.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Styleforum scooter11.
With my AE Walnut finishes I never use polish at all. I apply leather lotion about once every 2-3 months, let completely dry 1-2 hours, brush, then buff with a flannel rag. Personally I enjoy the Burniished Walnut so much that I wish to preserve the original finish without cluttering it up with polishes. A good brushing (with a horehair brush that is assigned only for unpolished shoes) and buffing is all that is needed. Congratulations on your purchase and may you enjoy them in good health.

Stirling

Reaction score
Welcome to Styleforum scooter11.
With my AE Walnut finishes I never use polish at all. I apply leather lotion about once every 2-3 months, let completely dry 1-2 hours, brush, then buff with a flannel rag. Personally I enjoy the Burniished Walnut so much that I wish to preserve the original finish without cluttering it up with polishes. A good brushing (with a horehair brush that is assigned only for unpolished shoes) and buffing is all that is needed. Congratulations on your purchase and may you enjoy them in good health.

That's the way to do it.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

missilemonger

Reaction score
And now for something slightly different. I just purchased a pair of tan Mephisto loafers. In the past my light tan shoes tend to darken once I polish them, even when I use a polish that matchs the original color. Any suggestions for getting a nice shine while preserving the light tan color? Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads