• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polishing shoes

Demeter

Reaction score
First of all, sorry if there have been posts about this before (an I'm sure there have been), but it seems the Search function is broken, so I couldn't find anything. While trying to find some pics of Foster shoes, I came across that famous Japanese shoehorse's site, http://cobblers.hp.infoseek.co.jp/index.htm. Then I found one page where he showed how to shine your shoes, and the results seemed spectacular. The images mostly speak for themselves but since I can't read Japanese and my girlfriend is in another city for now, I'm at a loss as to what is written. Here's the link: http://cobblers.hp.infoseek.co.jp/count003.htm I can see the Kiwi Shoe Polish, but what about the other stuff? Is the glass simply cold water? And that other little tub is what, precisely? I can read Edward Green, but that's all.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The glass is cold water, and the EG tin is neutral wax polish.

Demeter

Reaction score
So first you wipe them down with cold water, then use the Kiwi polish, and then the EG neutral polish?

lisapop

Reaction score
Advice from JM Weston...

Wipe shoes with a slightly damp sponge to clean the skin
Apply polish with a cotton cloth
Once polish is dry, eliminate the surplus with a soft brush, then buff with a soft cloth
For a brilliant sheen, mix a little water with the shoe polish. Massage the leather in concentric motions. Repeat the operation until the shine is obtained. Leave to settle for 24 hrs then wipe with a dry cloth to perfect the shine.
Grayson

Cliff

Reaction score
For a superior shine (a "military spit shine"), use hot water. The hot water keeps the polish soft so that it can be worked into the leather better.

Demeter

Reaction score
Ahh, perfect. Thank you all kindly for the input.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So first you wipe them down with cold water, then use the Kiwi polish, and then the EG neutral polish?
He uses the Kiwi neutral on brown shoes, and the EG neutral on black shoes. Not both on the same shoes.

He isn't using the cold water directly on the shoes--he is using it to dampen the polishing cloth, both before using the cloth to pick up and apply polish, then again at the final buffing. Basically a spit shine technique.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my understanding was that the cold water was to make the polish harden and sink in better. I have heard of aplying the polish on a hot knife, and then polishing with a rag dipped in ice water.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is wax the best product for getting the best shine? and i have heard that it tends to build up after a while sometimes cracking the leather. it was breifly stated long ago how to take off the layers of old wax, anyone remember this method? thanks.

lisapop

Reaction score
JM Weston uses and sells a beeswax-based polish.  Being closely in touch with my inner Imelda Marcos, I recently renewed an appreciation for Weston shoes and am consulting with them on proper care of their shoes.  Ron Rider, shoe maven at Franco's, recommends a brand of polish under the brand name Lincoln, however the tin doesn't list ingredients.  Perhaps Ron can offer his advice.
Grayson

lisapop

Reaction score
meaculpa, don't get carried away with using too much water to polish those Foster's shoes.  I, myself, don't use water at all, and you really should be able to achieve a perfectly fine shine without using H2O.
Grayson

lisapop

Reaction score
Below are the brand names of polishes recommended by a few prominent shoemakers...

Crocket & Jones: Dasco Shoe Cream
Edward Green Bespoke (Tony Gaziano): Old Cobbler Fine Shoe
Polish
Perry Ercolino Bespoke Shoes: Cordonnerie Anglaise
Grayson

lisapop

Reaction score
Thanks, STYLESTUDENT. Â You're clearly a most polished gentleman
smile.gif
Grayson

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads