• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Polishing Shoes

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After searching youtube and searching SF, I can't seem to find a good, simple guide on the items I need to polish shoes myself and how to do it correctly. I decided I wanted to learn to do it myself instead of taking it to a cobbler, but I don't know what I need and how. It seems like there are different levels of complexity/steps for different polishes.

Simple clean and shine? What would I need to do this and how do I do it?

More detailed polishing? What would I need to do this and how do I do it?

I'm quite clueless in the matter and all help is appreciated.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking through the thread and a lot of people write their methods. Is there any guide of the basics?

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
basics as in whipping some dirt off with a wet rag like you would anything else? or applying polish with a cloth after creating a scuff? come on man

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem with that thread is that there isn't a comprehensive "guide." There are a lot of tidbits regarding various parts of everybody process and it's hard to piece everything together.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For that matter, the videos on the AE website show a simple system for caring for your shoes. Then simply build on that knowledge.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You can get everything there cheaper if you go separately. I, for one, prefer cream based polishes rather than wax based ones which are included in the link.
I use just a Kiwi horse hair brush as I think it offers basically the same result as anything for 5-20x the price and I simply cannot justify the price difference.

I noticed it was cheaper separately, but then the brushes would need to be backordered :lol:. Maybe I'll just stop by the store and see.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.