• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polishing my Alden LHS

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I have a pair of burgundy shell cordovan Alden LHSs that could use a polish. Is this something that is done? Will polishing ruin the lovely contrast stitching, or do I just need to be super careful? Or should I just leave them alone and rock the patina?

Any tips/experience/horror stories would be appreciated!

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would use a neutral polish only.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
This. It really works.

So basically I am just gonna dampen the shoes, brush the hell out of them, then buff 'em? I'll give 'er a shot.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
So basically I am just gonna dampen the shoes, brush the hell out of them, then buff 'em? I'll give 'er a shot.

Right on. The most important component is the brushing the hell out of them. Some people who don't want a high-gloss-shine finish skip the final buffing, or don't do it vigorously. Note that you should use paste wax once every 15-18 wears - when desperate, in other words - but NOT MUCH of it. See the link AlanC posted!

factorial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
I would use a neutral polish only.
Alden recommends against using neutral polish on their cordovan.

Kevk

Reaction score
In addition to the Mac method, I have had good luck using Allen Edmonds Cordovan Care Cream. $8.00 shipped on there web sight. Easier to work with than paste wax and really brought the shine out on a pair of vintage Florsheims. Wish they made the cream in colors other than burgandy and black.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Yes. Whenever I wear my shell, I simply wipe with a damp cloth and then buff. Works every time. I apply a thin layer of wax 2 or 3 times a year at most.

Hoofit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kevk
Wish they made the cream in colors other than burgandy and black.
It wasn't too long ago that they had a brown cordovan cream listed on their ebay website. It may be worth a call to AE if you need a brown cream.

Kevk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hoofit
It wasn't too long ago that they had a brown cordovan cream listed on their ebay website. It may be worth a call to AE if you need a brown cream.

Thanks for the heads up. Just got a call back from AE. They do have some brown cordovan cream left. $8.00 shipped.

With paste wax, it is easy to use too much and have a wax build up that is a pain to remove. With the cream I don't seem to have that problem and they come out looking great. Less work too...

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
The colored creams are good for restoring color due to scuffs or sun fading; the wax doesn't add color in the same way.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads