Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Polishing Brand New Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by innerspaceboy, Nov 5, 2009.

1. innerspaceboy

innerspaceboy Member

Hi all,

I'm new, been reading the forum for some time now and finally decided to register [​IMG]

anyway i purchased a lovely pair of shoes, decided to give them the first polish next day. After spending a hell of a time polishing and buffing (the shoes), they are nowhere near as they were out of the factory. I used kiwi PARADE GLOSS which i now believe to be a mistake.

Any ideas on how i can get it back to factory state and restart with normal kiwi black? would polishing over it with normal black do the job?

all help much appreciated

Thanks,

2. maxnharry

maxnharry Senior member

I would wipe with alcohol to strip the parade gloss off, then use a crema alpina if you have it, then a shoe cream and finish with the kiwi. if you dont have the alpina, just skip that step.

parade gloss is garbage as it has silicone in it (IIRC).

3. innerspaceboy

innerspaceboy Member

Thanks max n harry,
    will the alcohol take it back to factory shine? as the shoes are dullish with the polish on, also will the alcohol affect the leather in a negative way?

4. maxnharry

maxnharry Senior member

5. fredfred

fredfred Senior member

Use the search function a little - there are some excellent tutorials on shoe polishing. Everything you need to know.

6. Pogue

Pogue Member

Parade gloss although you get a great result the first few times of use please beware that you're getting yourself into a whole lot of trouble. I used this from a recommendation and thought it was great initially. However, after the third or forth time and after much elbow grease I could not get a shine. My shoes just looked very dull and uncared for.

7. exchange239

exchange239 Well-Known Member

I've sometimes just used a cream for the initial polishing until it develops some protection. Then would use conventional or even Parade Gloss after a few weeks/polishes. Seems to have worked for me for the past few years.