• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polish/Conditioning my new CT Chelseas

Mr Sola

Reaction score
I just got my new CT boots in, and I was wondering how I should go about polishing/conditioning them prior to their first wear. I have some Lexol conditioner and cleaner. Do I need to use these, or should I just go straight to polish? Also, should I wait to try antiquing?

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=15246
  • Wipe it down with a moist rag
  • Apply conditioner
  • Apply shoe cream
  • Apply polish
You can start antiquing right away. It's really a lot easier than it's been made to sound. I did it with a pair of boots over the weekend. Took a couple hours to do everything (first wear polish), but they came out extremely well. I applied a layer of brown polish, a layer of cordovan, a layer of black, and then another layer of cordovan. Just make sure to mix it up.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you're going to use acetone, IMO you should probably do it right away.

I don't suggest using black polish on brown shoes. I've done it, but it usually comes out blotchy IME. On the CTs I used some light tan, some dark brown, lots of cordovan, and later on some navy blue cream and bright blue polish.

Mr Sola

Reaction score
Is there a technique for using acetone? Do I just put some on a rag and start wiping?

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a question. Is "conditioner" a waterproofing spray?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Sola
Is there a technique for using acetone? Do I just put some on a rag and start wiping?
Pretty much. I use those little face pads. It soaks right through and if you use it for very long it will not be the greatest thing for your skin, so you may want to wear gloves of some kind. I found that on the CTs the acetone had the most effect on the hardened areas, i.e. the toe box and heel counters. It will take some of the color off, and then you can leave it lighter (use light tan polish to protect it) or add your own color to those parts. The parts you strip with acetone will take color from polish and cream much better than the other parts.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
If you're going to use acetone, IMO you should probably do it right away.

I don't suggest using black polish on brown shoes. I've done it, but it usually comes out blotchy IME. On the CTs I used some light tan, some dark brown, lots of cordovan, and later on some navy blue cream and bright blue polish.

are there pics of these shoes?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
are there pics of these shoes?
Yeah..

chelseas27cp.jpg

ct11zn.jpg

mbc

Reaction score
J, those were all wax polishes, correct? No creams?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mbc
J, those were all wax polishes, correct? No creams?
Some navy blue Meltonian cream across the vamp because it started looking a bit dry after I wore them a bit.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, black polish does not necessarily end up blotchy, but you will darken your shoes considerably. Helps to apply different colors underneath and on top to soften the effect and get a deeper color. j, can you explain how and why you had to go at those with acetone? How'd they look after you did, and what cream did you use for the color base?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
For what it's worth, black polish does not necessarily end up blotchy, but you will darken your shoes considerably. Helps to apply different colors underneath and on top to soften the effect and get a deeper color. j, can you explain how and why you had to go at those with acetone? How'd they look after you did, and what cream did you use for the color base?
The black polish always seems to leave streaks or little grains of pigment around, and I don't like how it ends up. They get into any cracks and are hard to get out. I don't think I will use it on any shoes but black from now on.

The acetone I didn't feel I needed to use, but I wanted to strip any surface finish from the boots to make sure the polish I was going to use would adhere and make a good base.

I didn't use any cream on them until after I wore them a few times.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
j, they look very handsome. did you have to buy a new belt to go with them, or did you do a wax job on one you already had?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads