• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polish Color for Dark Cognac Cordovan?

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, not really......which is why I said 'Renovateur should be enough'. When some color is needed, the cream is much more effective than the wax, IMO. At least in my refinishing shop. I used to import the Saphir Shell Cordovan Cream, but found that it was no more effective than Renovateur and an occasional MDO Cream treatment, so stopped stocking it here for wholesale.

Ron,

I wonder if you could say a little more about cream vs. wax--elsewhere, I've read that one should only use wax & never cream on SC

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From A suitable wardrobe... Deer bone!! :)

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a good question, and I think we all have our biases which results in 'do this'. I personally prefer cream if I have to try to get some color into shell, always have done it that way, and haven't bothered to try to change. Renovateur is far away the most important product (besides a good brush...which is effective as anything) to use and I only use the creams once in a blue moon, but cream is what I use. Wax is more for top coating while cream is more for color work. At least the Saphir stuff, which I've pretty much only used over the last 10 years. Water based creams won't do a thing so don't bother with them.

Grenadier

Reaction score

Did you buy those shoes directly from Rancourt? How much?

Yes, I ordered directly from Rancourt & Co. and the price was $500 for cordovan and I believe about $250 for calf. I found the company to be very flexible with styling and details. You should e-mail Kyle Rancourt at [email protected]

Poshak Man

Reaction score

I've got a pair of dark cognac cordovan loafers coming in from Rancourt & Co., which are being made of the same cordovan as Leffot's venetian loafer, as seen below. Can anyone recommend a wax polish brand/color to use on them when giving a good polishing after Saphir renovateur? Thanks.

Saphir Havane would be a good color match. Not sure about the wax versus cream debate though.

RockJaw

Reaction score
Ron,

do you do MTO?

NHorween

Reaction score

Honestly, I don't know much about Zoe's Venetian Cream......it's an old brand that disappeared long ago until Nick Horween started pushing it recently. I remember it being a pretty harsh product, but I assume Nick has something to do with it coming back.....it was a Chicago based chemical company that made it. Maybe it's different now. -

I like Venetian because it gives the right amount of shine for me. I use Renovateur with success as well. The fact that Zoe's is domestic (and in Chicago) is important to me.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's a good question, and I think we all have our biases which results in 'do this'. I personally prefer cream if I have to try to get some color into shell, always have done it that way, and haven't bothered to try to change. Renovateur is far away the most important product (besides a good brush...which is effective as anything) to use and I only use the creams once in a blue moon, but cream is what I use. Wax is more for top coating while cream is more for color work. At least the Saphir stuff, which I've pretty much only used over the last 10 years. Water based creams won't do a thing so don't bother with them.

I think it's really interesting to hear different opinions among the professionals on this. I know that with every pair of Alden cordovan shoes that you buy, there is a pamphlet in the box that recommends against using creams, and only using wax on shell.

Personally, I've used Renovateur, Venetian Shoe Cream, and wax on shell. All of them seem to work pretty well, though the Venetian Shoe Cream seems to promote some temporary discoloration in the creases of the shoe.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads