• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Policy on posting

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
To discuss any and all matters related to style, fashion and other areas of interest deemed appropriate by the MANAGEMENT-moderator and administrator of the Style Forum. Don't be intimidated by the considerable knowledge of some of the members here. We have all learned from one another; there's no such thing as a "stupid" question.

All are expected to act like gentleman, except of course for the ladies, who are expected to act like ladies.

No "flaming" (posts containing personal attacks). No "trolling" (inflammatory posts intended to provoke reactions from other members). MANAGEMENT'S decision on these matters is final. You'll find posts we deemed objectionable to look like this- (DELETED).

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hear, hear. I like well-moderated forums, and I think management is mature enough not to get overly heavy-handed. We share a common interest in clothes, and presumably this carries on into a common interest in behaving like the gentlemen we dress ourselves to be.

And trolls just suck.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alias - love the eloquence of your phraseology :)

...but I have to know who made the ski mask and whether it is cashmere?

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Naw, it's regular wool. I got it at the local bazaar. I find it hilarious that a certain local poster has taken his flames to another certain messageboard. That's good for me; as long as I have one place I can go to for civilized discussions about clothes and style, I'm happy.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
When was the last time Steve even mentioned his book?

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So Steve B, are posters allowed to blatantly promote their products on this forum like the way you sell your book? Would such activities be deemed as discussion of clothing matters or a pure financial opportunity?
He's kind of like the owner of this message board. He posted about it once before, and that was that. It wasn't so much of a "HAY GUYS BUY MY BOOK PLZ" as it was a "Hey, I wrote a book about style and I figure you guys would be interested."

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Quote (Sweetnsour @ 28 Jan. 2004, 7:54)
So Steve B, are posters allowed to blatantly promote their products on this forum like the way you sell your book? Would such activities be deemed as discussion of clothing matters or a pure financial opportunity?

In the buying and selling section, created by popular demand. The advertisement for the book is there where it belongs. Prior to that, it was mentioned once, with one testimonial, which were the rules at that time.

If you feel that's blatant, you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

Might Sweetnsour be yet another handle for Marc 39 (in addition to the 2 I already know about), or just someone else posting an ad hominem flame right after it was posted to be against the rules?

aybojs

Reaction score
Because clearly someone who just popped out of nowhere and has only made about 5 posts to the forum should be an authority on how a moderator, long time member, and major contributor should behave on the forum.

Just ignore the troll, Steve.

Mike

Reaction score
Steve Brinkman's The Men's Clothing Guide is a must-have fashion primer"”an essential guide for every beginner interested in exploring the sartorial pleasures. It also includes the most thorough listing of men's stores in the USA available.

G. Bruce Boyer
Author of Eminently Suitable and Elegance
Contributing Editor to Four Seasons and Departures magazines

For the often confusing trip from elemental to elegant, Brinkman gives men a clear, unintimidating road map.

Owen Edwards
Contributing Editor to
GQ and Town and Country magazines

Like it or not, appearance matters. Today, men have to pay as much attention to style as women. The only problem is, guys don't know where to begin. My suggestion: Start with The Men's Clothing Guide. Steve Brinkman artfully compiles practical information about what to wear and where to get it. Boost your fashion IQ and save money on the best brands in the process.

Brian Boye
Fashion Director
Men's Health magazine

Easy, pal. All he did was post the jacket cover. Its the same thing you'd read in a New York Times primer. I din't think he was trying to force me to buy it. All he did was make it known that it was published and give us the same thing that would be printed on Amazon.

Screw this, I'm tired of giving in to these trolls.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks like three testimonials to me (but of course packed into one). If it ain't a blatant financial opportunity, it's sure blatant self-promotion, but then again Steve, we can always agree to rules that suit you. Anyway, no point in continuing to beat on about a minor point. Cheers.
Shut up, lurk more, stop posting

jharrison

Reaction score
I'm experiencing nauseating flashbacks of the GQ Forum.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Yep...And I think it's time to use the delete button...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads