• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

police or military belt with streetwear

dutchguy

Reaction score
I like wide and heavy leather belts such as worn by military and police officers. One of my favourite belts is a 2,25" wide sam browne police belt. I do have a couple of those in both black and brown, and I do like to wear those with my casual street outfit.
Anybody else who likes to wear this type of belts? Do you think it is appropriate to wear such a belt with jeans and how does it look to you?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
belt looks fine, jeans seem to have a rather high rise, it would seem a belt that thick would look better on lower slung jeans since the thickness of the belt is accentuating the rise, making it look even taller. Not sure if I like that particular shirt with the ensemble, but to answer the original Q, that kind of belt would look good as streetwear.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think it can look good, but honestly, i dont think it looks good in that pic.
edit- for the reasons get smart just said.

blackgrass

Reaction score
I think it looks a bit goofey....you might have people asking if you won a WWF match or are having problems with your back.

stach

Reaction score
Troll alert. This thread is double posted.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I dont see any trolling here....i think the guy just wanted to cover both forums and get more opinions since not everyone reads both sides.

xcoldricex

Reaction score
cosign on everything Get Smart said. wearing it like you have it in the picture makes you look like urkel.

a belt like that might look better not being used as a belt- but as an accessory- worn over the belt loops loose.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I dont see any trolling here....i think the guy just wanted to cover both forums and get more opinions since not everyone reads both sides.

The thing raising eyebrows is the picture - those pants are raised suspiciously high. But there's no shame in taking posts seriously and giving the benefit of the doubt.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maybe you could wear it on a jacket that has belt loops. A lot of military belts are intended to be worn that way.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I want to agree, but those hands look awfully familiar...

dutchguy

Reaction score
Trolling? No way, as Getsmart said just want to get some opinions, and I wasn't sure where to post the message. So please let's just get back to the topic.
Ok the picture is not the best, just wanted to show the belt I was talking about, will post a better picture later today. I am quite a tall person, and the picture wasn't taken in a very good way.
So referring to Getsmart, what kind of shirt would you wear with this belt, and how would you wear this belt? Wearing it over your belt loops might look quite strange fo guys as well, if it doesn't have a purpose. I do have one belt with some pouches that I use for outdoor, and then I wear it over my regular pants belt. For casual wear it needs to hold up my pants though as well.
Some guys may think it looks eccentric, but isn't that part of our society nowadays? No reason anymore to look and behave as the mass.
Personally I like the look of a belt that is bigger than a regular civil belt and for me it completes my street outfit

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
are those jeans Ernest Sewn or Levis? just curious cuz I think I see the crotch rivet...

first, the jeans look like they are pulled a bit high so the thick belt makes it look like it has a super high rise. Maybe if you wore them a bit lower, or get lower rise jeans the thick belt won't look off

shirt-wise, obviously you can't go wrong with a tshirt, but assuming you want to wear a buttonfront shirt like in yer pic, something a bit more casual like a slim western shirt or some kind of plaid would look good. A well fitting shirt is the key, regardless of color or pattern you choose, as you don't want too much mushrooming on your sides, since that will compound the "bigness" of that area with the extra thick belt

I also like thick belts, one reason I can't get into the EG belts everyone is into here is because it looks too "dress belt" for jeans. imo

dutchguy

Reaction score
Trolling? No way, as Getsmart said just want to get some opinions, and I wasn't sure where to post the message. So please let's just get back to the topic.
Ok the picture is not the best, just wanted to show the belt I was talking about, will post a better picture later today. I am quite a tall person, and the picture wasn't taken in a very good way.
So referring to Getsmart, what kind of shirt would you wear with this belt, and how would you wear this belt? Wearing it over your belt loops might look quite strange fo guys as well, if it doesn't have a purpose. I do have one belt with some pouches that I use for outdoor, and then I wear it over my regular pants belt. For casual wear it needs to hold up my pants though as well.
Some guys may think it looks eccentric, but isn't that part of our society nowadays? No reason anymore to look and behave as the mass.
Personally I like the look of a belt that is bigger than a regular civil belt and for me it completes my street outfit

dutchguy

Reaction score
Here are some better pictures of the police (picture1) and military belt (picture2) that I normally wear with my casual outfit. Please feel free you leave me your comments or opinion.
Are there any other guys who wear the same type of belt, or am I really very eccentric? If a pair of pants has those wide belt loops, they must be for a purpose? Besides that, I like the fact that there is some history connected to those belts, rather than a belt you can just buy in any store.

In eastern Europe you see quite a lot of guys that are wearing military belts with their jeans.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dutchguy
Here are some better pictures of the police (picture1) and military belt (picture2) that I normally wear with my casual outfit. Please feel free you leave me your comments or opinion.
Are there any other guys who wear the same type of belt, or am I really very eccentric? If a pair of pants has those wide belt loops, they must be for a purpose? Besides that, I like the fact that there is some history connected to those belts, rather than a belt you can just buy in any store.

In eastern Europe you see quite a lot of guys that are wearing military belts with their jeans.

Um, wow, long tongue. I mean, I like a bit of tongue on a belt (otherwise, it looks like you bought the belt too small) but that is a lot of tongue. A little too phallic, maybe... I recommend having a leather worker shorten the belts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads