• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polar Bear Dip

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just had my annual polar bear dip with a group of friends today. Warmer than most years, only -17 C. Anyone else do them?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stupid question but doesn't water freeze under zero C ?

Next question: why would you do that?

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ice floats, and it insulates the water underneath, or at least considerably slows the process. (It slows the convection of heat to the air, or something) That's why lakes and rivers don't freeze solid permanently.

It's really invigorating, and it's a blast of a time during the entire thing.
Plus, when else do you get to see women in bikini's in the middle of February?

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Stupid question but doesn't water freeze under zero C ?

Next question: why would you do that?

I think the -17 he quoted was the air temp. That and it's hard to freeze constantly moving water, such as the ocean. Another option would be to cut a hole in ice, but jumping in that would be rather dangerous...if you were to get caught underneath the other ice.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
I think the -17 he quoted was the air temp. That and it's hard to freeze constantly moving water, such as the ocean. Another option would be to cut a hole in ice, but jumping in that would be rather dangerous...if you were to get caught underneath the other ice.

We cut a hole in the ice. We used to go swimming in the ocean, but most of us have moved inland over the last year. There used to be a few official polar dips here, but they've been cancelled precisely due to that danger.

Star

Reaction score
Is there a variation where people do the Polar Bear Dip in the buff? If you are going to do something as extreme then I guess do it properly.....and would hopefully make those girls sans bikini's great eye candy.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know. Sounds fun but I'd probably die in like a minute.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.
Plus, when else do you get to see women in bikini's in the middle of February?

anywhere thats its warm in feb.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
I don't know. Sounds fun but I'd probably die in like a minute.

The please go try it for like 90 seconds.

jk bro. or am i

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.
Just had my annual polar bear dip with a group of friends today. Warmer than most years, only -17 C. Anyone else do them?

You da man, How long between being just in your swimsuit and getting into the water? Anyone making envirospeeches while you froze on the beach??

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
You da man, How long between being just in your swimsuit and getting into the water? Anyone making envirospeeches while you froze on the beach??

Less speeches, more drinking. And about 30 seconds between taking off the outerwear and jumping in. The water is a shock, but better than standing around in the wind.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
2009 Christmas did it in Florida. Was pretty damn cold for about an hour afterward.

(^I don't think this is what L.R. was talking about edina, but w/e.)

Good for you, L.R.!

I had an unplanned dunking into a lake one winter while a teenager. A buddy and I were smoking weed in a spearing house and I fell into one of the holes through the ice. It was ******* C-O-L-D!!!!!!!. I had to strip off the wet clothes and hang them to dry above the little woodstove. Still damp several hours later, they froze when we finally tried to walk back to a cabin on the shore.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
2009 Christmas did it in Florida. Was pretty damn cold for about an hour afterward.

plain.gif

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've done this before. Tons of fun. And yes, girls in bikinis are a plus. When I did it though, we all jumped into a sauna after. So much better than booze.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads