1. Miguel Antonio

Miguel Antonio Senior member

Do you play poker?. Discuss.

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I sure the hell do.

3. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

really fun..... I am going to vegas this summer. Can anyone suggest a place to stay out there? .......on a budget

4. Miguel Antonio

"Can anyone suggest a place to stay out there?"

I was going to suggest Bellagio, even though ".......on a budget".

5. BYucko

BYucko Senior member

I only play Hold'em.

But damn, even that one game is hard to play well. God damn.

6. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

really fun..... I am going to vegas this summer. Can anyone suggest a place to stay out there? .......on a budget
    http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/travel-deals/704925/ thats a link to fatwallet.com's vegas deals. they are usually pretty decent. since you are going in the summer, you are going at the "slow" season of vegas, if there is such a thing, since it is so god damn hot there. i stayed at the palms (thurs-sunday) for an average of 160 a night. some friends stayed at the wynn for an average of 180 a night. you can find deals on the venetian, bellagio, mandalay, etc. if you search around. if you are going for strictly playing poker, i recommend the bellagio. also, make sure to read up on the $20 tip rule. it does wonders!!

7. bob_gnarly

bob_gnarly Senior member

who doesnt play poker? lol i like to play all games..lately ive been playing a lot of PL omaha hi online...anyone play on full tilt? its pretty crazy to watch when phil ivey comes online and sits down at 500/1000$ nl heads up hold em and makes his way to 500,000 dollars in no time lol

8. Tangfastic

Tangfastic Senior member

I enjoy playing with friends for fun, but can't be bothered online.
    I can't afford to play high stakes so I'm stuck with low stakes limit hold 'em if I actually want to win anything. I find it too tedious to bother sitting online for an hour to make £5 though. I don't use the free $25 party poker chips they keep sending me now.

9. Karo

Karo Senior member

Its just too bad asia hasn't really picked up on it. I sure miss it. [​IMG]

10. mishon

mishon Senior member

Play Hold'em every Monday night with law school buddies. A very difficiult game, indeed, if you want to become at least decent at it. Requires lots of reading and practice.

11. Miguel Antonio

If you want to learn poker I recommend Mike Caro's web site, where you can see videos of poker psychology, also be sure to buy his book, Mike Caro's Book of Tells for a very good approach to poker psychology.

Also "Theory of Poker" by David Sklansky is a very good book to have, on poker strategy. He (David Slansky) is considered to be the top guru on poker right now.

Links: http://www.poker1.com/home.aspx (Mike Caro's web site)

12. alan

alan Senior member

I played poker for a living for a couple of years, i still make a decent amount of money out of it.

Ive only played online, actually.
    PLaying the 400NL or 200NL tables currently, and 30-50 sit ngos
    Live its mostly been with friends, although ive played in a couple of big tournaments that ive qualified to but didnt get anywhere.

Only good at NL holdem, mostly sit n gos and cash games. I had very good results at tournaments (low buyins) when i started bu lost the patience to wait 3-4 hours for reaching the money.

13. alan

alan Senior member

For beginners, i recommend the Sklansky and Harrington books (Harrington for tournaments mostly)

Skalnsky will teach you the theory of the game, and Harrington will take you out of the beginner level and many mistakes people make at that stage (playing weak aces, not paying attention to position, etc......)

But be aware that when you want to move up levels, ABC poker doesnt cut it anymore and youll have to find your own style and mix it up.

14. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

I've wanted to learn, but I feel like it's too complicated for my simple mind to process.

I just got into scrabble though. [​IMG]

15. Miguel Antonio