• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pointy Shoes

seanchai

Reaction score
img0645ay4.jpg

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by braidkid
What do you guys think? Is that sleek Paul Smith brogue I've been lusting after going to be out of style in 5 years?

I don't think they'll ever be 'out of style', but that phrase is not something that I ever pay attention to.

J has a good point about Paul Smith's 'timelessness'. I have stuff from his line in the mid 90s that's never looked irrelevant over the course of 10 years. When his stuff is out there, it's SO out there that it still can't be dated by trend. I like that he follow his own drummer, stylistically.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pointy toe is the new square toe.

They're being churned out by the same companies, like Kenneth Cole and Aldo, and worn by the same guys with Rock&Republic jeans and too much cologne.
http://www.aldoshoes.com/eng/storeSe...var=d&ckey=US&

Note I'm not talking about classic "elongated" toe dress shoes like you might find from JL or something. There's a big difference between that and these court jester looking things.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt

They're being churned out by the same companies, like Kenneth Cole and Aldo, and worn by the same guys with Rock&Republic jeans and too much cologne.

Note I'm not talking about classic "elongated" toe dress shoes like you might find from JL or something. There's a big difference between that and these court jester looking things.

+1

What is wrong with CLASSIC elongated shoe instead of ridiculously pointy fashion experiment?
It is the same with clothes : If you wear something skin-tight today you would most likely look like fashion-victim in 2-3 years.

Always opt for classic designs with a bit of flare or quirky detailing rather than fashiony things on a "cutting edge".

And for the life of god stop wearing HOODIES. They are as stylish as jogging suit or flip-flops.

yeayea

Reaction score

yes, yes, yes. this is exactly what i was trying to get at. i dont want to be one of those guys! (ie, a fashion victim)

so i guess it is a matter of judgment in determining what is a classic narrow toe and what is a pointy/jester/fad-of-the-day. i just dont have the sense of style yet to make the judgements (i guess thats where you guys come in!)

anyway, i think i just need to get out and try on tons of different fits to develop my sense of style - i think i should do this before committing to any particular style

yeayea

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
+1

What is wrong with CLASSIC elongated shoe instead of ridiculously pointy fashion experiment?
It is the same with clothes : If you wear something skin-tight today you would most likely look like fashion-victim in 2-3 years.

Always opt for classic designs with a bit of flare or quirky detailing rather than fashiony things on a "cutting edge".

And for the life of god stop wearing HOODIES. They are as stylish as jogging suit or flip-flops.

- do you have an example of a classic elongated shoe?
- i love hoodies but i definately see what your saying.. the look is everywhere and getting played-out
- as a newbie its tough to discern trend from classic style at times. guess this comes with experience.

cloudhands69

Reaction score

I like these shoes. I like the swear shoes also. I think there's too much fear about looking like a "fashion victim" on this board and sufu.

I think it's ok to buy something (as long as it's not outrageously expensive) that might go out of style in 2-3 years. I have a couple pairs of tight pants that I know I won't have forever, but they're fun, so what the hell.

I think there's a difference between having fun with some "edgy" or "fashion-y" pieces and filling your wardrobe with them.

Oh, I like hoodies, too.

Some people just love to hate on the AmJack crowd, and while I'll agree they have no style, I don't really care what they do or dress like. I doubt I'd ever be mistaken for one (I'm too skinny), but even if I was, who gives a ****?

Curious_George

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yeayea
- i love hoodies but i definately see what your saying.. the look is everywhere and getting played-out
Imo, hoodies are like jeans, they're everywhere because they're practical and versatile. I hated hoodies for the longest time, but I've since accepted that they are an American clothing staple (or are at least becoming one). I don't really think they can get "played-out."

yeayea

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Curious_George
Imo, hoodies are like jeans, they're everywhere because they're practical and versatile. I hated hoodies for the longest time, but I've since accepted that they are an American clothing staple (or are at least becoming one). I don't really think they can get "played-out."
I hope so, but im not sold that they are becoming a staple of casual clothing. I like the whole hoodie with a sport coat look because its casual and dressy at the same time. Plus it looks cool. But Im not so sure that this will be considered a classic look in a few years. I think mens clothing is gravitating to a casual-dressy hybrid due to our 24-7 lifestyles, but maybe its to early to tell ... PS AmJack - ??

bigskydream

Reaction score
What about these Surface to Air shoes? Are they too pointy in your opinion?

yeayea

Reaction score

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I like those s2a shoes.

Here's another piece of advice, if you have trouble walking in them don't buy them.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is on some fashionspot ****. Respec knux to seanchai for the winklepickers.

stake

Reaction score
The pointer the toe the better.

i just got myself a pair of cowboy boots because of the toe and the design on the foot and i now have 5 pairs of pointy toed shoes.

Who cares about fashion victim status? My opinion is that if you have the style to puill them off now, then in 5 years you would still be able to pull it off.

Ratboy,

What brand was your shoe? I like them...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads