1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Pointer Brand

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by DocHunter, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Rafael T

Rafael T New Member

Thanks again.

Rafael T

2. TheSoonest

TheSoonest Senior member

[​IMG]

this might help you get a better idea of how they fit. for reference, in this photo i am about 150lbs, 5'9 and normally wear shirts that are size 38 or small/xs. I got the jacket in a size XS and it is pretty fitted with a little room for another layer if needed. arm holes are a little small so that took a little getting used to but i've had it now for almost two years and it's still going on strong. that duck fabric is tough!

2 people like this.
  3. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

Such a sharp jacket. And love the asymmetric chest pockets.

Debating between duck and hickory (or fisher) stripe. Probably duck just for versatility purposes, but there's something about hickory stripe (brings out the kid in me I guess).

Btw anyone have any fit pics and/or experience with the special make up shawl collar jacket?

4. Mr-Izk

Mr-Izk New Member

Hi! Do you know if I can buy it at a store in NYC? or only at their web? Thanks!

5. TheSoonest

TheSoonest Senior member

I think the number of stockists is pretty low so best bet may be just through their site

6. meso

meso Senior member

I would be shocked if there isn't a workwear shop (like, a real one) that carries them anywhere in NYC. Give Pointer a call and ask.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  7. CPaul

CPaul Senior member

Meso you have any more pics? Just found this company and thinking of getting the navy duck chore coat. I'm about your size too.

Edit: screw it. Bought the coat anyways haha

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  8. strangedream

strangedream Well-Known Member

Somewhere over the rainbow where you can get drunk
    So their Brown Duck Chore Coat is currently priced at $87.25. I am curious how much they have raised the price recently. I saw an blog post dated couple years that states the price around $60. Any idea?

9. dixonmanor

dixonmanor Senior member

They've raised prices quite a bit over the last 3-5 years. I think I only paid, like, $29 for my Hickory Striped Chore jacket, but that was maybe 6 or 7 years ago? I think they are just trying t raise their profile and attract a wider audience. I linked to an article/profile about the CEO in this thread and if I remember, the company wasn't doing so hot until he stepped in and made a few changes, including, I'd guess, raising prices.

Still a pretty good deal, as far as I'm concerned. While the detailing/construction may not be as nice as EG, you're only paying about 20% of the price.

10. meso

meso Senior member

They've raised their prices and are trying a few new lines with new details (banded collar!@#!!) for around $100.
    Generally, over 100 and I'm more likely to wait for a used EG or post o'alls jacket.
    The fit is good for me but the details and overall construction are very vanilla.
    Also the button at the cuff is hilariously tight.
    If they really wanted to get into this market they should do some more subtle designs without those silly snaps.

11. CPaul

CPaul Senior member

Ya quality isn't the greatest and the collars are huge. Not a fan of the cheap buttons they use either.
    Still, not a bad purchase. Just need to shorten the collar and I'll put it to use.

12. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

These jackets are kind of pieces of crap -- they're really milking the Made in USA tag here. Denim quality is poor, construction is poor, and buttons are poor. I'd avoid, especially at these new bogus prices.

13. strangedream

Yeah I am thinking of rather getting Carhartt's chore coat (C001, C002 or RNC001). It might not be made in USA any more but it's only slightly more expansive than Pointer Brand and it comes with collars and blanked lined.

They are also more widely distributed--some stores in San Diego (where I reside) carry them, so I get to try them in person.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  14. matthewh

matthewh Well-Known Member

I ordered one of their chore coats in feb 2012. I first ordered the pre-washed denim, size L, and it was $61.10.

I'm 6'-1", 200 lbs and normally wear a 44 coat. The chest on the pre-washed coat fit ok but the sleeves were way too short. I ended up exchanging it for the regular denim (lot 45), size XL Tall. I bought this coat for a cold weather work coat and as such wanted the extra room for layering and movement. I also like that Pointer offers and unlined coat. I used to have a blanket lined Carhartt jacket. It looked nice and all but I hated that blanket lining. Its restricts movement too much. I always felt like I was fighting the coat.

I like the look of the brown duck though. If I ever get one of those, it would be for just general wear and I'd get the Lg Tall.

I agree with comments about the quality. It is workwear. The patterns and fit are ok (except for that weird big collar) but the stitching is not great. No busted seams of anything, just kind of ragged on the inside. The denim feels more like a heavy shirt but it has held up to lots of abuse.

15. Fooleo

Fooleo Active Member

anyone have any experience with the Coverall Jackets? Slate blue for $50 sounds pretty solid to me, but wanted to know if anyone else could weigh in on the quality & fit before purchasing.

16. EmergencyIan

EmergencyIan Member

I purchased the unlined duck (canvas) chore coat a few months ago. I'm 5'7" and 150. I normally wear a size 38 suit jacket. I purchased it in size medium.

It was washed in hot/warm water twice and dried twice. Since it's 100% cotton, it shrunk significantly, as you may expect. After all of that, it fits quite well. The sleeve length, etc. is nearly perfect.

The one thing that I did do, after the washings, is I took the jacket to the tailor in order to have the collar trimmed down. Prior to taking it to him, I determined that there was an excess of 3/4 of an inch of canvas. The tailor cut off that 3/4 of an inch across the collar and finished the job beautifully. Now, the collar's size is in proportion to the rest of the jacket/coat.

- Ian

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  17. strangedream

EmergencyIan, thanks for your input. I have pretty similar physique as you (5'8" & 160; 38 jacket), so I guess I should also go with the medium size for the chore coat.

May comments I have read about this item being slightly bigger than usual sizes of other brands made me to think that I should order it in a small size, but I didn't think of shrinkage issue. Again, much appreciated for sharing your experience.

18. EmergencyIan

EmergencyIan Member

If you get a size medium, you will have to wash it in hot water and dry it in order to shrink it, of course. If you don't do that, the medium will be to big on you. Like I mentioned, I washed and dried my coat/jacket twice. It may have shrunk enough after the first round, but I did it twice for good measure.

In interest of full disclosure, the canvas isn't as stiff as it looks like it would be, in the photographs. So, in theory, a person could go down a size, if they never plan to stick it in a washing machine and always have the coat/jacket dry cleaned when a cleaning is required.

For me, I wanted mine "broken-in" a bit. I knew I wanted to wash and dry it at least a couple of times, and knew that cotton does shrink no matter what you may hear to the contrary. From much experience, I know that heavy raw denim jeans, etc. always shrink in the washer and dryer.

Anyhow, good luck.

- Ian

19. strangedream

Ian, thanks for the awesome reply. As a graduate student of international relations I won't do much of barn works, but "broken-in" looks were what I was looking for with this item too (besides, I wouldn't be able to afford dry cleaning).

If it's possible, would you share some photos of your barn coat? I am curious about the look of shrunk version.

20. EmergencyIan

EmergencyIan Member

You're welcome. When I get a chance to have my wife take 3 or four pictures of me wearing it, I will post them. They will be taken inside, so they wont be great, but it should give you an idea. They will also show what the collar looks like after being professionally trimmed down.

- Ian