1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Poetry

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Kai, May 5, 2004.

1. Kai

Kai Distinguished Member

Anyone out there enjoy poetry? Â I've been a poetry reader pretty much all my life. Â I can't write poetry worth crap, but love to read good poems. Â Currently re-reading some Byron. Â I just can't get over his "Darkness." Â Gives me shivers. Â Some of the imagery is really disturbing, but glorious all the same. Â Â http://home.t-online.de/home/Dr.Stri...n_darkness.htm Also re-reading some favorites from Amy Lowell: http://alt.venus.co.uk/weed/writings/poems/alp.htm My newest discovery is Li-Young Lee. Â Romantic, mystic, nostalgic. Â I've got one of his collections. Â Have just ordered the rest from Amazon. http://www.indiana.edu/~primate/lee.html http://www.bigbadcat.com/zola/lyl.html http://www.eng.fju.edu.tw/English_Li.../us_poetry/Li/ I'm always on the look-out for great poetry, classic and contemporary. Â Anyone out there have favorites to share?

2. ken

ken Banned by Request

Check out Saul Williams "Amethyst Rock Star". Some of it's hip hop, but mostly it's spoken word over music. Track 3 will blow your mind.

There's no reading involved (but the words are printed in the liner notes), but it's a great listen if you're into contemporary poetry.

3. Stu

Stu Distinguished Member

Love Eliot:
    "Into the room, women come and go,
    speaking of Michelangelo"

Also love Keats and Yeats, but can never keep them straight:
    Which was the one who wrote "The center cannot hold" or something to the effect? I love that poem, it just sends my mind racing.

Also love Kipling. I forget the name of my favorit Kipling work, I think it is "If": It is about keeping one's head under pressure. it is like a manual for leadership. Love that poem. It makes me want to be a better man.

4. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

...always been a fan of Bukowski - especially the stuff from Love Is A Dog From Hell

5. jharrison

jharrison Senior Member

Walt Whitman is my favorite. www.readprint.com is a great site. It has hundreds of poems, as well as novels and short stories, available online for FREE. It think it's fantastic. Any literature fans should check it out.

6. mistahlee

mistahlee Senior Member

W.B. Yeats, The Second Coming

Yeats is "modern" and Irish.  Keats is romantic and English.

7. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Distinguished Member

What's up 2004?

I always had a passing appreciation for poetry but the course I'm taking now has really opened my eyes, esp. for contemporary stuff.

Right now starting on a Brautigan omnibus.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Good for you Magi. I've always had a weak spot for Elliot, Yeats, and Cummings.

9. Dr. Mabuse

Dr. Mabuse Senior Member

Ezra Pound. Some, but not much of, the Cantos. Mostly the Paris years, even some of the "war years" stuff. William Blake is really all over the map but "Marriage of Heaven and Hell" is sublime. Rimbaud's "A Season in Hell" especially Bad Blood. I am not really interested in the cult of personality that some of the big names seem to engender, but tend to gravitate towards the poet's ability to turn a phrase. Shallow, for sure, but what are you going to do?