• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poetry Reading - Black Turtleneck

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black turtleneck, is a terrible idea for a poetry reading. Don't do it.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey

This man, is lying. I assure you it is a perfect idea.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
J. Cogburn, just ask yourself, "What would Fred Astaire wear in a case like this?"

twosnapsandgo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey

I disagree. Wear the black turtleneck your ex will want you and everyone around you will be impressed. Dont forget the black sunglasses! You cant wear a black turtle neck without black sunglasses. And grow some stubble right below your lip. Take a black eyeliner pencil and fill it in. Exercise your thumbs and middle fingers for some snazzy snapping at the library!

Made in California

Reaction score
The black turtleneck It is not a good idea Velociraptor
Originally Posted by JonathanHemlock
I think all anwers need to be in form of haiku. . .

Will C.

Reaction score
Not sure what makes you think jeans will tone down the clichÃ
00a9.png

dig?

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Postscript - All of the heavy sarcasm and faux advice served its purpose. I left the black cashmere rollneck at home and went with a white button-down oxford, a Brooks Brother's #3 navy & white repp tie, Levis 514 indigo jeans, and an airforce blue nailhead silk odd jacket. A great look, but - no surprise - I was rather overdressed; the only guy there without a rumpled t-shirt. No worries though; the girl was suitably impressed. As she should be.

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn
Postscript - All of the heavy sarcasm and feaux advice served its purpose. I left the black cashmere rollneck at home and went with a white button-down oxford, a Brooks Brother's #3 navy & white repp tie, Levis 514 indigo jeans, and an airforce blue nailhead silk odd jacket. A great look, but - no surprise - I was rather overdressed; the only guy there without a rumpled t-shirt. No worries though; the girl was suitably impressed. As she should be.

I feel like some people [with low post counts] just come on here, get advice, then continue on with their lives and don't think about us again. But it's like, "What about us? Your e-friendz?" So thanks for sharing, I like getting follow-ups.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
My pleasure. One of the poets there (author of an amusing piece called "Poet Barbie" which she graced us with from the podium) thought I was in a suit. A suit! I'm wearing Levis and an obviously non-suited coat.

Standards have fallen when jeans & odd jacket = "suit."

Made in California

Reaction score
Cross-posting this from another thread, I figured you'd find it funny.

Originally Posted by Saltricks
A girl at a lounge winked at me and said "love the suit".

And I winked back and said, "It's a sport coat and trousers."

I went home alone that night.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Believe me, the author of "Poet Barbie" was no candidate for a post-reading dalliance.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tie w/ any jacket is a "suit" in many places these days, yes.

Lose the tie and you won't get so much of the overdressed thing. The tie is a lightning rod for attention, which can be good or bad; in the end you want not to be surprised to how people respond to your outfits. Not sure I'd wear a sports coat to a poetry reading either, but it sounds like you did well enough and enjoyed yourself.

If you start attending these things on a regular basis, you might find it worth investing in some quality "streetwear" (as SF calls it) -- there is a lot of overlap between the high-quality workwear stuff for slim romantics and the geriatic British pensioner wardrobe collected through wisdom and experience. Dark brown Trickers and a killer Barbour would be a good investment for any tie-loving dandy. And these things will go over surprisingly well with the art-loving suit-haters.

You can look good in any environment without compromising your own taste. I think that's the point of being a clothes horse.

Montauk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JonathanHemlock
I think all anwers need to be in form of haiku. . . Public Library Cotton Dockers are the Choice With Rush Concert Tee
laugh.gif
Don't wear a black turtleneck to a poetry reading. That's pretty much the ONLY thing you can't wear to a poetry reading.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ful fetys was his dresse, as I was war,
Upon his hippes large some jeans he did bar;
Sikerly I trowe they were fine of hande
Forsooth but jeans they were and nothyng grande;
But for to tellen yow of his array,
Wered he a turtleneck, he'd look more gay

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics