1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Pocketsquare 101

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Gus, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Gus

Gus Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Here is a nice overview on pocket squares. I for one, like either a sharp TV fold for a formal look or a loose puff with a few corners sticking out randomly when going casual. But, in the end, do whatever you like and have fun with it.

http://artofmanliness.com/2008/06/15...pocket-square/

2. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Distinguished Member

Good read, thanks. I myself do not like the TV fold which comes across as anxious and antiseptic.

3. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Good read, thanks. I myself do not like the TV fold which comes across as anxious and antiseptic.

As someone who owns, funds, and operates his very own sewer, you above all should appreciate the value of a good antiseptic.

4. grimslade

grimslade Stylish Dinosaur

As someone who owns, funds, and operates his very own sewer, you above all should appreciate the value of a good antiseptic.

I thought at first glance you meant that he funded somebody to do all his sewing. [​IMG]

5. Bob01

Bob01 Senior Member

Soon to be upgrading to a side by side refridgerat
    From the forums, It seem most would agree a matching tie and pocket square would be a bit much.....Would it be just as bad (or maybe worse) to have the pocket square matching identically to the shirt? Reason for me asking, Is that Im having quite a few shirts being made, and thought I'd just ask the tailor to make a pocket square for each cloth chosen for the shirts... I'm still not ready to do any coordination of patterns - this would be a cop out until I've read the WAYWNT for a few more months :p.

I really like the TV fold, not really a fan of the puff or points (or atleast for now) - 12 inch seems to be size for this/most versatile? (Square will be made from Cotton, of varying thickness depending on the cloths chosen for the shirts)

6. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Distinguished Member

Would it be just as bad (or maybe worse) to have the pocket square matching identically to the shirt?

Yes, absolutely.

7. Bob01

Bob01 Senior Member

Soon to be upgrading to a side by side refridgerat
    Oh yeah, forgot to add - more than likely 80%+ I wont be wearing a tie...

8. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I don't think there is anything wrong with a white linen square and a white cotton shirt. Any other color(s), though, and I go out of my way not to match.

9. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Big Winner

I very rarely wear a suit, but I wear some kind of blazer, or sportcoat, almost daily, and never fail to have some kind of pocketsquare in the pocket. I folded at first, but I prefer haphazardly stuffing the PS into the pocket.

10. JLibourel

JLibourel Distinguished Member

I'll use the TV fold with my cotton squares. When I use white linen, which is very rarely, I usually go with some sort of peaked fold. For silken squares, which I overwhelmingly prefer, I always puff them.

If I'm going tie-less and ascot-less, I may wear a solid square that's similar in color to my shirt. I do, however, think that pairing a shirt and a square cut from the same material is a little too akin to the matching tie-square sets.

11. Dragon

Dragon Distinguished Member

Matching shirt and square = amateur
    TV fold is usually amateur too.

12. Gus

13. Dragon

Dragon Distinguished Member

14. Gus

I have pocketsquares in all kinds of classic colors and patterns. But, it is fun to throw something in the mix that is a bit different from time to time, especially for parties and casual evenings out on the town. One of the most unusual and enjoyable pocket squares that I have is this one from Paul Smith. It looks like a B&W newspaper print with ball point pen markings on it. It works best with a TV fold and always gets comments.

[​IMG]

15. TheFusilliJerry

TheFusilliJerry Senior Member

I always wear a pocket square. As a basic rule, my pocket square always relates to my tie(not match, just relate). My other rule is: When in doubt, white linen in TV fold.