• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket squares

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I wear a suit or sport jacket, yes.

I am by all means young but still have room to expand upon the wearing of a pocket square.

aybojs

Reaction score
I wear pocket squares pretty much whenever I wear a sportcoat or suit; it's not something I get to do often, but when I do I like to dress it up with a pocket square.

I still don't see any basis for a claim that young guys are somehow being presumptuous by wearing them; if anything a colorful piece of fabric in one's suit pocket would make one look more vibrant and youthful, as opposed to older and more austere.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The only time I don't wear a pocket square is when I don't have one that goes with what I'm wearing, and that almost never happens. To me, a breast pocket on a jacket looks ridiculous without a pocket square in it - that's what it's there for. It can take a while to perfect a folding technique that doesn't look affected though. The trick is to make it look like you just stuffed it in there, while still looking good.

Another tip for pocket-square wearers - the breast pocket looks best when it is positioned high, angled up a bit or curved (like the Neopolitan barchetta pocket,) and when one side is tucked under the lapel a bit. On some suits the pocket is too low and even worse, closer to the armhole than the lapel. If you have the misfortune of owning a jacket with the pocket positioned like that (I have a few myself) then try arranging the square so that instead of angling out towards the shoulder, it angles up towards the face. If done properly it goes a long way towards balancing the lousy pocket placement.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I regularly wear pocket squares, and I'm usually rather upset when I don't have one that will go well with a particular shirt and tie combination. The key is to have the right pocket square.

imageWIS, I mean no disrespect by this, but your argument is complete rubbish. If one is young, one is expected to dress like one's peers? I think if one is to have any sense of style whatsoever, one should certainly not take sartorial cues from the most pathetic stereotypes.

Younger men shouldn't feel confined to trucker hats, camoflage, and designer denim. I know that I, for one, would look more ridiculous in that sort of "outfit" than if I were to wear morning dress or white tie to all functions.
You misunderstand...

I am not discussing casual wear, nay I am writing about pocket squares, used with either a sports coat or a suit jacket. I for one, do not dress like my peers, in casual wear, business wear or white / black tie. For example, I only wear shirts with cutaway or sharkfin collars, paired with extremely thick double Windsor knots, and I usually sport a SB vest with lapels, regardless if I have a sports coat or suit on. That is look that I have yet to see worn by one of my peers (and that includes my extended visit to NYC last fall).

As well, I oftentimes wear the odd-paired lapelled vest with a suit, i.e. a gray suit with a black vest or a black suit with a white vest. Again, this is a look I have yet to see anyone slightly above or below my age emulate.

One dresses like ones peers primarily to fit in, at least that is the general case. Out of curiosity, are you implying that all people will look good sporting pocket squares?

Jon.

JFK

Reaction score
Thanks very much to all who have contributed to this thread; would any of you who regularly wear pocket squares care to make a suggestion or two as to how and where I might get started in putting together a collection?

For instance, what styles, colors, and/or fabrics do you think are the most versatile? Tips on features/hallmarks of good quality to look for would also be welcome, as would recommendations on designers/labels to look for (or avoid, as the case may be).

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, are you implying that all people will look good sporting pocket squares?  
I would say yes - if the square is worn correctly and the color choice is right.  The age of the wearer is irrelevant.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
JFK,

Avoid 13" squares in favor of roughly 18".

Many sources. Nieman Marcus, Bergdorf Goodman, Paul Stuart, Charvet , Dunhill, Turnbull & Asser, RL Purple Label, Ben Silver, Alan Flusser. Most of my linen squares are from the latter two.

Will

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're concerned about color matching or showiness, white cotton or linen pocket squares are frequently available on EBay, for $20-25. I just won a Purple Label linen for less than $20. You can get a white Charvet handkerchief at Bergdorf, with a nice border, for about $30.These seem to look better with a dark suit rather than a patterned sportjacket.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Charvet pocket squares with the borders are gorgeous. I think Zegna makes (made) them as well, in addition to printed squares. Linen is the classic material, with hand-rolled edges as a nice touch. I also like silk squares. Wish I could comment cogently on the business-appropriateness aspect of pocket squares, but as a mere student, I cannot. I would imagine, however, that the way you wear the square can affect that aspect, i.e., of course a large, multipointed, hanging out of the pocket look wouldn't fly, whereas a multipoint is less severe and likely generally appropriate, with the square 'TV-fold' as the least obtrusive option. I rarely have the chance to wear a suit -- I have to make opportunities -- Â yet I always try to wear a pocket square. Â My intention with that detail is to show that I am not wearing a suit because I have to, but because I enjoy so doing -- in that way I state that I am wearing the suit rather than letting it wear me. Lots of people in my peer group are 'worn' by their suits. That, I expect, is even true in the corporate world. Regards, Huntsman

The Dandy

Reaction score
imageWIS, I'm still rather confused by your position. Your position is that one can make most anything appropriate, however, that pocket squares are strictly meant for men over the age of 25? I must respectfully disagree.

I would not suggest the pocket square as a look for everyone, but certainly I would say it's an appropriate for one of any age.

JFK, the most versatile pocket squares are those of the white and blue linen varieties, preferabely hand-rolled and 18". I usually look to complement my shirt's colors with my pocket squares, as I often wear multi-colored and repp stripe ties that are difficult for me to pair with the appropriate pocket decorum.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
imageWIS, I'm still rather confused by your position. Your position is that one can make most anything appropriate, however, that pocket squares are strictly meant for men over the age of 25? I must respectfully disagree.

I would not suggest the pocket square as a look for everyone, but certainly I would say it's an appropriate for one of any age.

JFK, the most versatile pocket squares are those of the white and blue linen varieties, preferabely hand-rolled and 18". I usually look to complement my shirt's colors with my pocket squares, as I often wear multi-colored and repp stripe ties that are difficult for me to pair with the appropriate pocket decorum.
They remind me of a young man trying to impress beyond his years. I receive a flower on the lapel in a similar fashion.

Jon.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(clarinetplayer @ 12 July 2004, 5:21) I am also amused by your signature. Â Sir Thomas Beecham once told the trombones of his orchestra that they sounded "like roast beef gravy going through a rusty sewer pipe."
biggrin.gif

Having been a professional trombonist, I've always loved that Strauss quote (almost as much as I loved playing Strauss; he wrote some of the best trombone licks ever), but I'd never heard the Beecham quote until now; I love it.
How nice, another musician..... koji

HRHAndrew

Reaction score
Another musician here as well, Trumpet. Though I was wise to stay away from the "institute" depicted in your avatar Thracozaag.

HRHAndrew

Reaction score
Ah, you have retained your sanity, then.  Very prudent choice.
It was very close, but I chose Boston University instead.  I publicly stated that it was so I could study with Roger Voisin (means nothing to non-trumpeters I know) but in reality I wanted to have the option to transfer out if I needed to.  I did of course after a year. But the final three were, the jailyard as I understand it is commonly referred to, Cleveland IM, and BU.  I think I made the right call, but again you never know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads