Pocket squares - where do you guys *really* get them?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by enarchay, Oct 30, 2010.

1. enarchay

enarchay Senior member

I know there probably have been a few threads like this already, but this one is a bit more specific. The creative use of pocket squares in the WAYW threads can really dazzle me, but with such a variety, I often wonder: Where are you guys getting these things? I simply cannot afford to buy a variety of pocket squares from the typically recommended sites, so what options do I have? How did you guys start your collection?

Thanks.

2. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

I know there probably have been a few threads like this already, but this one is a bit more specific. The creative use of pocket squares in the WAYW threads can really dazzle me, but with such a variety, I often wonder: Where are you guys getting these things? I simply cannot afford to buy a variety of pocket squares from the typically recommended sites, so what options do I have? How did you guys start your collection?

Thanks.

Build slowly.

I get mine from Kent Wang or from the buy and sell section of this site.

3. chasingred

chasingred Senior member

75% of the best ones I've seen are all Kent Wang, frankly. Can be had for like 25 dollars too.

4. BlackBrumel

BlackBrumel Senior member

I have been bought from BS. Got a Hackett and a PRL. At the same time, I took an old Turnbull & Asser of mine and asked to a skillfull lady use the fabric to make three PS`s. It worked.

5. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

Century 21 in NYC often has a good selection as well.

6. killercadi

killercadi Senior member

I've bought most of mine from Howard Yount and Kent Wang.

7. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Sam Hober

8. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Some of mine are actually just pieces of old material from stuff I don't use anymore. I simply cut out the size that I want, and use it stuffed (so no edges are showing). I can probably bring them up to my cleaners up the street and have the edges sewn, for pretty cheap. I have to ask.

The rest are from C21 as Lufty pointed out, B&S (gshen makes GREAT ones) and Kent Wang. The latter two can't be beat for the $$.

9. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Less expensive sources include Kent Wang, Sam Hober, and the sale offerings of conservative places like Maus & Hoffman and Ben Silver...check their sites. Both M&H and BS have some great squares on markdown right now. C21 is great if you are in NYC. There are also some part-time PS makers who make offers on SF. The other option as noted above is to recycle shirting. Carl Goldberg of CEGO (shirtmaven on SF) does this with odd bits of fabric. You can also do it yourself with exhausted shirts. Anyone with a sewing machine can do standard edges. Hand-rolled edges take a bit more time and skill, so you may search longer before you find someone willing and able to finish a PS that way.

10. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

11. bleachboy

bleachboy Senior member

PROTIP: For solid-colored satin silk pocket squares, check out someplace like Burlington Coat Factory. Yeah, they don't have hand-rolled edges, but who cares, they're like seven bucks.

12. Richdog

Richdog Well-Known Member

13. oDD_LotS

oDD_LotS Senior member

I get nearly all of mine from two local old-school menswear stores. I have to be careful with them (they carry some cheap, one-sided 80's looking ones), but they usually have a bunch of really nice ones in tons of great patterns. I prefer a little more silk and color than the white-tv-fold crowd, so it works out well for me. Best part is, the only time I've paid more than twenty some dollars was a Faberge one that I fell in love with that was $45.

14. dv_indian

dv_indian Senior member

If you want super cheap try Men's Wearhouse. They have plain silk for $7 and printed design silk for $10. Online selection seems to be better. Order on a Friday for free 2 day express shipping.

15. sonlegoman

sonlegoman Senior member