Pocket squares: when to wear them and when not

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by newsuit, Oct 21, 2004.

1. newsuit

newsuit Member

I am new to this, so pardon my ignorance. When, generally speaking, do you wear the pocket square? For business? For special occasions?

Thanks.

2. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

IMO, whenever you are wearing a jacket with a breast pocket. An empty breast pocket looks superfluous, at least it does to me.

3. Kai

Kai Senior member

I wear them any time I am wearing a jacket, unless the jacket has a patch pocket (but that's just my personal preference, pocket squares can certainly be worn with patch pockets.)

4. kidkim2

kidkim2 Senior member

5. Leo Jay

Leo Jay Senior member

Wearing one is never inappropriate. Neither are they ever absolutely necessary, though a suit or formal wear almost always looks dressier with one. At the same time it might seem odd to some to wear one when pairing a sportcoat with jeans or casual chinos. But it's all in how you carry it off -- it's a matter of personal style.

6. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I carry an actual handkerchief in that pocket, along with glasses and the occasional cigar. I will usually keep 2 identical white handkerchiefs, one older in my trouser pocket, one virgin in my breast pocket. should the need arise for a second handkerchief (actually only about 3 times in my life) for instance to give one to a person in need, I use the new one.

Frankly, it makes me feel a little less of a dandy to have a crisp white cotton pocket square, and one that can be functional, rather than a colored silk one.

7. Leo Jay

Leo Jay Senior member

Just curious: does anyone here ever wear their white linen pocket squares points up? Or do you usually wear them folded square?

8. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

points up

9. PHV

PHV Senior member

Can someone please point me to a site where I can learn to correctly fold one? When I was small my mother would do it for me, and now it's the lady I'm with at the time, if I do wear one. I can tie a beautiful windsor knot, but I've never effectively folded a pocket square... and I have the finest silk specimens too.

10. Leo Jay

Leo Jay Senior member

I think silk is best worn folded square or 'points down', but that's just my preference. On a practical level, in my experience it's hard to get silk to hold its folds if you try to wear it 'points up'. But you can experiment with all types of folds and shapes.

11. Caballero

Caballero Member

this web site may help your question regarding folding pocket squares: http://www.neckties.com/foldinginfo.htm

12. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

i remember that one - i nominate it for inclusion in the FAQ sticky topic.

13. kidkim2

kidkim2 Senior member

Re white linen, up or down--

I've invariably worn white linen pocket squares with the points up (and absolutely always slightly disarranged).

But under the influence of [next two words in itsy-bitsy type] Flusser's book I'm "poufing" the linen hanky tommorow night with my new Oxxford cashmere blend glen plaid sport coat. (See Gary Cooper, Dressing the Man, frontispiece.)

14. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

Pouf cotton or silk. - otherwise they usually fall over
    Linen - points up. - crisp enough to stand up
    No matter what, wear only hand-rolled or hide the hems.
    finis

15. mano

mano Senior member

The only time I didn't wear a square with a suit or jacket was yesterday, and that was on the advise of the people on this and Andys' forum. I have 15-20 patterned and solid colored silk squares. The Cagney is my fold of choice. I try and have only the top 1/2 inch or so show.