• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket squares on a coat?

Pocket squares on coats?

• Yes

Votes: 23 11.7%
  • No

Votes: 127 64.8%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 46 23.5%

• Total voters

monkey66

Reaction score
Pocket square in a coat.

I did it once a few years ago and got castigated for it.

Saw this picture in The Times today.

Thoughts?

Screenshot_20220123-100345_The Times.jpg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was a young lad the current youth cult trend was for suede heads. It was bit more grown up style that evolved from the original skinhead look and the key component was a Crombie style coat in black or dark navy with a red spotted handkerchief in the pocket. I reckon it was a good look. Some lads secured the handkerchief in pace with a jewelled tie tack. See the cover of Robert Elms’ ‘The Way We Wore’ which has a pic of this. It’s a good read, taking you on a trip through all the trends and youth cults that he espoused in his younger days.
When I was a teenager there was a skinhead revival going on which conflated some aspects of the brief suedehead period from the early seventies, including cheap crappy melton knock off Crombie style coats sold in high street shops. These often had red nylon linings and the kids would pull up the linings in the chest pocket in place of using a pocket handkerchief. Not a good look.

I have a grey herringbone chesterfield coat and got red and blue spotted handkerchiefs which I kept in the chest pocket and could alternate whichever colour better matched up with whatever else I was wearing. Visiting Chicago for work a couple of winters ago I was carrying the coat over my arm and later found out that the handkerchiefs must have slipped out. I don’t have a need to wear the coat very often so haven’t got around to replacing the handkerchiefs yet.
Bottom line is that it can be a good look. Prince Chas is usually reasonably well turned out and looks decent in that pic. He is a nervous sort and always seems to be jamming his hands in his pockets. Vertical slash style overcoat pockets are more suited to hand warming. If you have a chesterfield type with straight pocket flaps it’s better to wear gloves and keep your hands out.

noobanker

Reaction score
These days I find that even on suits, it feels odd to have pocket squares. It seems to give off "try-hard" vibe, mainly because ppl are dressed so freakin' casual. With wfh becoming normalized, just putting on a jacket alone is as smart as one can be without being somewhat out of place.

alkydrinker

Reaction score
These days I find that even on suits, it feels odd to have pocket squares. It seems to give off "try-hard" vibe, mainly because ppl are dressed so freakin' casual. With wfh becoming normalized, just putting on a jacket alone is as smart as one can be without being somewhat out of place.

Yeah, before the 2000's #menswear era, it seems like a pocket square was a bit of a move that required some discretion about when and where. Then with #menswear, pocket squares became very trendy, ubiquitous, overdone, and we saw a bunch of cheap, bad examples. 5+ years ago I remember guys on menswear forums parroting a statement that "wearing any tailored jacket without a pocket square is a missed opportunity." I doubt those same guys feel that way now. In fact, the new hive mind sentiment seems to be exactly yours - "a pocket square seems out of place these days," and I've seen that written several times.

With the #menswear trend well over, there's probably a reluctance to wear anything too reminiscent of that trend as we all cleanse our palates. But, ultimately I think it comes back to normal where a pocket square is a style choice that will be good in certain considered implementations.

_cameosis_

Reaction score
always a pocket square. and a bandana. never compromise.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I answered yes to your poll but am now realizing you meant overcoat. While I almost always wear one with a coat (sport coat, suit coat), with an overcoat it's less often.

yanagi

Reaction score
I've never worn a pocket square on an (over)coat, but when I teach in a suit, I always alternate between either plain white linen or a patterned navy-on-white cotton square that's "almost" plain white.

#menswear may be dead, but Uncle Joe in the White House is rocking them like he used to.

_cameosis_

Reaction score
we could do with fewer men swearing, i swear.
it doesn't make them more manly manly ...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads