• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Squares - Linen, Cotton, Silk - Which When?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
So, I'm trying to get into wearing pocket squares, thanks to you bunch
smile.gif

What I'm not clear on is, why would one choose Cotton, Linen, or Silk?

1. Does it depend on the type of fold (which are best for each type of fold)?
2. The texture of the suit/tie (match silk tie to silk square)?
3. Are some fabrics better for single or multiple squares at a time?
Is it just personal preference?

Thanks in advance
MC

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's really whatever you like and what looks good with what you're wearing. For example, you may want a certain texture contrast. But a white linen square in a TV fold is a classic, and it's hard to go wrong with it.

Personally, I think cotton is underrated as a pocket square material. But then, these days I'm less interested in pocket squares, per se, and am just stuffing whatever I like/find in my pocket, as long as it gives the desired effect.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
It's really whatever you like and what looks good with what you're wearing. For example, you may want a certain texture contrast. But a white linen square in a TV fold is a classic, and it's hard to go wrong with it.

Personally, I think cotton is underrated as a pocket square material. But then, these days I'm less interested in pocket squares, per se, and am just stuffing whatever I like/find in my pocket, as long as it gives the desired effect.

+100

A week ago I got some paper tissues in bordeaux. Perfect PC (because of the colour!).

J Simulcik

Reaction score
I prefer silk 90% of the time, but there are times where cotton works better. White linen TV is the only time I use any of those three things at all.

I've also heard quilted cats in pockets are going to be huge pretty soon!

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
1. Does it depend on the type of fold (which are best for each type of fold)? Silk is best for puff, cotton and linen for non-puff folds. 2. The texture of the suit/tie (match silk tie to silk square)? Some prefer to contrast: linen square with silk tie, silk square with wool tie. But silk tie with silk square is also fine. Not a big deal. 3. Are some fabrics better for single or multiple squares at a time? Please only wear one square at a time. Don't get carried away.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads