1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Pocket Squares in BigLaw?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by RichmondStyle, Jun 25, 2008.

1. elgreco

elgreco Senior member

They can wear things that would be laughable for attorneys to wear and not even get a second glance. So justifying wearing something on the grounds that staff members do it is definitely not a good rule of thumb.

Hm, I wasn't necessarily advocating the position that what works for the staff works for the attorneys, but moreso what you said about no one really caring what the staff can and cannot get away with - which helps with my sartorial choices. If I were an attorney, you're right, I probably could not and should not get away with wearing a strong windowpane patterned shirt like I was the other day.

But, in terms of the pocket square debate, I don't think a conservative rectangle fold is going to offend anyone, staff or attorneys.

2. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

Mishon and MAfoofan,

The lesson is that you shouldnt tell people anything. If they ask where you got your suit, tell em Jos A Bank. If they ask how much, tell em 150 bucks.

Good point.

We know a lady who owns some sable coats. She freely wears them around New York City (subway, buses, etc.).

She is often asked by strangers "is that sable?"

Her stock response: "This?! It's nylon, and I pop it in the washing machine!"

3. Smahatma

Smahatma Senior member

I'm wearing one to work today. I don't expect any problems.
    Thread title says Big Law, not Small Timer Law.

[​IMG]

4. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

There is much conformity and pressure to conform in a big law firm. Think of it as a high school with a bunch of middle aged men.

If you have confidence and style you can wear pocket squares, bow ties, etc. For the young associate, it is a little difficult to buck the trend, but you need to stand-out from the others. If you're exceptional, why not look exceptional?

However, if you lack confidence and seek to be one of the herd, then you will avoid any sartorial flourishes or quirks. On the other hand, meekness will get you nowhere.

The legal profession still has a streak of dandyism which will allow pocket squares. Therefore, a good number of the lawyers and public will not see a pocket square as unusual.

Good luck.