Pocket Squares in BigLaw?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by RichmondStyle, Jun 25, 2008.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

I guess when it comes down to it, as a law student at the time, I would rather have people think I was a bit odd than think I was a lavish spender.

I don't disagree. I would find no shame in saying I'm wearing Jos A. Bank or something I won on eBay. It just isn't true, which would make it harder for me to say and more difficult for others to believe. I imagine most people won't pry after a very vague answer.

2. overdog

overdog Senior member

I don't disagree. I would find no shame in saying I'm wearing Jos A. Bank or something I won on eBay. It just isn't true, which would make it harder for me to say and more difficult for others to believe. I imagine most people won't pry after a very vague answer.

Or you can say you had it custom made in Asia. Most people are under the general belief that you can get a very nice suit for very cheap in Asia and are not aware that a nice Chan suit would actually cost a substantial amount of money.

3. mafoofan

Or you can say you had it custom made in Asia. Most people are under the general belief that you can get a very nice suit for very cheap in Asia and are not aware that a nice Chan suit would actually cost a substantial amount of money.

Perhaps. Call me a priss, but I just don't find it that easy to lie outright. I can fib, stretch, and evade, but anything more is hard for me to do. Unless it's the internet.

4. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Unless you are working at a most unusual BigLaw firm, no one is going to be able to tell the difference between a $300 suit and a $3000 suit. Seriously. You're much more likely to receive crap from partners about driving a nice car.

5. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Perhaps. Call me a priss, but I just don't find it that easy to lie outright. I can fib, stretch, and evade, but anything more is hard for me to do.

{Insert lawyer joke}
    You're much more likely to receive crap from partners about driving a nice car.
    +1. And yet lots of first-year associates buy a nice car anyway and don't sweat it.

How's the Maserati, AC?

6. overdog

overdog Senior member

Perhaps. Call me a priss, but I just don't find it that easy to lie outright. I can fib, stretch, and evade, but anything more is hard for me to do. Unless it's the internet.

Fib, Stretch, and Evade -- sounds like a good name for a law firm!

7. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Mishon and MAfoofan,

I am not suggesting there is no back biting in law firms. Whether it comes from the associates or the partners or both. I imagine every firm has a different culture. What I was surprised at is the possibility that a pocket square can trigger these reactions. To me, absent the pocket square people like that would just find something else to ride you about.

The lesson is that you shouldnt tell people anything. If they ask where you got your suit, tell em Jos A Bank. If they ask how much, tell em 150 bucks.

Well I can't say I agree with lying about Jos A Bank, but the rest is spot on. I can't imagine a pocket square would ever be a real issue among grownups.

8. mafoofan

And yet lots of first-year associates buy a nice car anyway and don't sweat it.

Unless you're in NYC. Then you get raped by rent and taxes instead. It sounds like a bad deal, but you do get really kickass bagels.

9. scruff

scruff Senior member

Unless you're in NYC. Then you get raped by rent and taxes instead. It sounds like a bad deal, but you do get really kickass bagels.

Or you could do like me and keep living in the same apt in Brooklyn you've been in since college (the commute to Morningside Hts was a nightmare, but in hindsight totally worth it since I got to keep my apartment and was able to see friends on the regular). It's laughable how much some of my colleagues pay in rent to live in *shudder* midtown.

To OP - I work in a notable white shoe firm and wear a suit maybe once/week. It's sportcoats and trousers for me. On a regular basis I'm complimented on the"suit" I'm wearing, even if it's often followed with a "but your jacket and pants don't match." Anyhow, I wear pocket squares always. The bolder the better. No one could care less, though they do get tucked in a bit in front of clients (who I rarely, if ever, actually see). Oh, and the paralegals love the squares.

10. mafoofan

It's laughable how much some of my colleagues pay in rent to live in *shudder* midtown.

Yeah I don't get why anybody would think of living in midtown. We're looking at the upper west side.

11. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

The bolder the better. No one could care less, though they do get tucked in a bit in front of clients
    +1
    +1

12. mafoofan

Oh, and the paralegals love the squares.

One can only hope: the attractive female ones?

13. mishon

mishon Senior member

One can only hope: the attractive female ones?
    Not secretaries, paralegals![​IMG]

14. mafoofan

Not secretaries, paralegals![​IMG]

All of our secretaries are old and upset.

15. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

Or you could do like me and keep living in the same apt in Brooklyn you've been in since college (the commute to Morningside Hts was a nightmare, but in hindsight totally worth it since I got to keep my apartment and was able to see friends on the regular). It's laughable how much some of my colleagues pay in rent to live in *shudder* midtown.
    To OP - I work in a notable white shoe firm and wear a suit maybe once/week. It's sportcoats and trousers for me. On a regular basis I'm complimented on the"suit" I'm wearing, even if it's often followed with a "but your jacket and pants don't match." Anyhow, I wear pocket squares always. The bolder the better. No one could care less, though they do get tucked in a bit in front of clients (who I rarely, if ever, actually see). Oh, and the paralegals love the squares.

Yeah I don't get why anybody would think of living in midtown. We're looking at the upper west side.

[​IMG] midtown east.[​IMG] Quiet and convenient. If I want anything more I hail a cab.

I think everone is missing a key point from the OP. It isn't so much the he will wear the square (which as he said no one else that he works with wears), it is that he didn't wear one and is contemplating a change which we surely lead to him getting noticed for doing so.