• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Squares in BigLaw?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
ahh, i dont think thats going to help.

somehow i dont think...."oh i just had my private tailor in Naples Italy whip these up for me" is going to deter any attention.
lol8[1].gif

I think its great, but its probably not going to help your case.

Hmm. Well, I could fine-tune it, but I'd also hope that most people have no clue that Naples is reputed for its tailors.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
"my wife/gf bought it for me when we visited naples" should work better.

Aha. Beautiful.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
that'll work! props to vitaminC thats a damn good answer.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Hmm. Well, I could fine-tune it, but I'd also hope that most people have no clue that Naples is reputed for its tailors.

they make the jump....Italy and expensive clothes are usually connected in people's minds.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is
dozingoff.gif
without josepidal.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hmm. Even my close friends who I converse openly with seem to be taken aback by the price of things. I think any partner at my firm would be extremely put-off by a first-year associate saying something to the effect of: "Oh, it's a Rubinacci I got for $XXXX last week. If you like it, I can make a few calls to Naples and see if Mariano can fit you in." Maybe you can pull it off, but I'm pretty sure I'd just come off as an obnoxious snot.

I dont know if it will work with the bespoke clothes, but it works for me, most of my friends and family as me for help when they need to get dressed for an occasion.

Dont mistake this for me going around openly bragging, i dont, i just to avoid the topic of clothes and how much money i spend on them, but when it arises i often just offer my assistance.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just try to turn everything into business so people dont get the jealous seed.

Rather then come off arrogant i say something like, oh i just picked up "X" suit for "X" price, next time you're in a market for a suit give me a hollar and i'll get you a good price on the suit your in the market for.

I realize that you position yourself as a bit of a businessman, so talking about money matters with potential clients may be part of your normal interactions. Generally, though, talking about money in any way is pretty uncouth.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm simply offering up what works for me, it may or may not work for other people.

if you guys are uncomfortable talking about money, then its best to avoid it.

this should be no different then people asking about your car, your watch, your house or anything else thats expensive.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm simply offering up what works for me, it may or may not work for other people.

if you guys are uncomfortable talking about money, then its best to avoid it.

this should be no different then people asking about your car, your watch, your house or anything else thats expensive.

To an extent, I agree that talk of money is unavoidable. When someone directly asks you, "How much did you pay for that?," it's extremely difficult to avoid giving an answer without seeming like a jerk. But then, I guess by the time someone actually asks that, they're probably all too ready to be offended.

The only time I'm okay talking prices is when speaking to other enthusiasts, close family members, or close friends.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Here's another question: I'm applying to firms next fall hoping for a summer position in between my 2nd and 3rd year of law school. This involves a lot of firm tours (more casual, likely pants and a sportcoat, maybe even no coat) and a few wine and cheese events (at which I'm expected to be wearing a suit). Would it be inadvisable to wear a pocket square to these things? Particularly the latter, the point of which is both to introduce myself to people from various firms (which may help me get an interview) as well as coming to some conclusions as to where I'd prefer to work. I'd think being memorable would help with the getting an interview thing. Thoughts?

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm simply offering up what works for me, it may or may not work for other people. if you guys are uncomfortable talking about money, then its best to avoid it. this should be no different then people asking about your car, your watch, your house or anything else thats expensive.
The general rule of decorum is not to protect the speaker from discomfort. He should obviously know what makes him feel comfortable. It's to protect the person you are taking to from feeling uncomfortable.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
Here's another question: I'm applying to firms next fall hoping for a summer position in between my 2nd and 3rd year of law school. This involves a lot of firm tours (more casual, likely pants and a sportcoat, maybe even no coat) and a few wine and cheese events (at which I'm expected to be wearing a suit). Would it be inadvisable to wear a pocket square to these things? Particularly the latter, the point of which is both to introduce myself to people from various firms (which may help me get an interview) as well as coming to some conclusions as to where I'd prefer to work. I'd think being memorable would help with the getting an interview thing. Thoughts?

I think you need to consider your own personal situation. If you're going to feel the most comfortable and confident wearing a square, I imagine those advantages may easily outweigh any negative impressions people might have.

I would keep it tasteful, though. I wonder how many negative impressions result from people dressing loudly rather than from dressing up.

overdog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May

These kind of firm receptions should be pretty much treated like a pre-interview. From what I understand, when firms make their hiring decisions, they consult not only the actual interviewers from the formal interview, but also attorneys who attended these receptions to gather their impressions. So to these receptions, wear whatever you would be comfortable wearing to an interview in terms of flashiness. Obviously, don't wear a suit if the invitation calls for business casual.

overdog

Reaction score
That doesn't come across as bragging or crass? I never discussed the price of my clothes with my co-worker. Ideally, I would not talk about my clothes at all. If someone asks, I try to keep it vague but still true.

I'm not sure I'd ever feel comfortable trying to convince someone my Rubinacci really came from Jos A. Bank, even if it would work.

When I was a summer associate, another summer associate complimented me on the suit I was wearing and asked who made it. I told him Hickey Freeman, and he knew the brand (and likely how much Hickey suits retail for), and he asked me where I got it. I told him I bought it new off ebay, which was true. He looked surprised and I got the impression that he was somewhat skeptical that anyone could buy nice clothes off ebay. I guess when it comes down to it, as a law student at the time, I would rather have people think I was a bit odd than think I was a lavish spender.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads