• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pocket squares - how many is too many?

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was cleaning my closet and organizing stuff. I had to organize my squares by color, and I counted approx. 140 squares. When is it too many?

Taxler

Reaction score
If you wear patterened jackets, shirts, and ties, you'll never have enough squares for all the potential combinations. If you primarily wear solids, you'll only need a handful.

satorstyle

Reaction score
I tend to have more squares than ties, 140 I'm envious.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you answered your own question.
laugh.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have nearly two dozen, which is absurd. I realized I only need one or two: cream cashmere and cream silk. But then, I've also resolved to only wear blue shirts and gray trousers, so perhaps I'm not the best measure for this sort of thing.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cream cashmere and cream silk?
frown.gif

Not that I have a vested interest in people buying pocket squares or anything...
devil.gif
but I think around two or three dozen should cover most of what you'd need. I think I have about two dozen now and am slowly adding ones that I love.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my ex-girlfriends once asked me if I thought her breasts were too big. I answered by asking her if she thought I had too much money.
rimshot.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Cream cashmere and cream silk?
frown.gif

Not that I have a vested interest in people buying pocket squares or anything...
devil.gif
but I think around two or three dozen should cover most of what you'd need. I think I have about two dozen now and am slowly adding ones that I love.

Don't get me wrong, I love pocket squares, which is why I can't resist buying more. But ultimately, I don't like having a distraction on my chest like that, and I decided that simplicity and consistency have their virtues.

And what's wrong with cream cashmere and cream silk?

Panzeraxe II

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Seeing that I wear suits 5 days a week, I wear linen PS all the time - I have maybe 20 PS all in (linen, cotton and silk), but I wear only 4-5 with any amount of frequency - white linen, blue linen, white linen w/ blue / pink / brown / navy borders etc.

I wear silk PS maybe once or twice a month when I have a sportcoat on.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say anywhere between 50 and 100 is a comfortable zone. But there's no such thing as too many IMO (as long as you don't have the same PS in multiple copies)

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Any more than one at a time seems kind of silly.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I'd say anywhere between 50 and 100 is a comfortable zone. But there's no such thing as too many IMO (as long as you don't have the same PS in multiple copies)

I sometimes buy two of a tie if i think I am really going to like it but more than one of a pocket square would really be something.

Although, as I say this, it occurs to me that many of my tailor's clients literally order a half dozen of the same suit or sport jacket to place them around various houses they own, so it stands to reason they might want the same pocket square in all of them.
tounge.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics