• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket squares = dying fad?

danz24

Reaction score
It might just be me but but from my experience it seems that not many people wear pocket squares. In fact when I step in stores asking for pocket square they either have none, give me a confused look, have very little selection, or have the shirt/pocketsquare combination which I read was a no-no since you shouldn't exactly match the tie to the pocket square.

So what exactly is the societal viewpoint on pocket squares? too formal? out of date? etc.

kjm

Reaction score
Don't let mainstream America's notion of style affect what you choose to wear.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is this pocket square you speak of?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's not a fad, and it's been a generation since it was de rigueur. In other words, it's already dead. Except among the remnant.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It certainly is not. In fact, I've been seeing them a little more frequently, as of late.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
lurker[1].gif
This should be interesting..

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems all but dead in North America except amongst those truly interested in style. And the OP is right, I find most main stream stores have a very poor selection of pocket squares. I find one-off unique stores tend to have much better selection.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would seem that dressing well in general is dead. Dont give into todays standards.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
It would seem that dressing well in general is dead. Dont give into todays standards.

So true. People just don't give a crap anymore.

CharlestonBows

Reaction score
I've seen a lot more recently, particularly on younger guys. Sort of a "tie replacement" with a sports coat -- which I've also seen a lot more of on younger fellas.

I don't think it's a dying thing at all; on the contrary, they've just hit a stride.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
It would seem that dressing well in general is dead.

Unfortunately, this is true.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
Seems all but dead in North America except amongst those truly interested in style. And the OP is right, I find most main stream stores have a very poor selection of pocket squares. I find one-off unique stores tend to have much better selection.

+1.. I think that pocketsquares, unless a solid colour, should be a unique piece to your collection. This is why I like to search in places that no other would for them, for they are unique and convey a certain signature or style. Just wondering, have you ever though of creating your own pocketsquare out of excess fabric?

freefinancialadvice

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RyJ Maduro
It certainly is not. In fact, I've been seeing them a little more frequently, as of late.

Actually, as of late, they are pretty en-vogue with sports commentators. Especially on the NFL pregame shows. It makes me think about leaving mine at home sometimes. But, that's just a fleeting thought.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/5214...0A659CEC4C8CB6

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics