• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Squares: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions.....

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my collection currently. Stands at 24. Though in the past 3 months I've given away another 20 or so older ones that I either never used or had no significance to me.
20200322_080412.jpg

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm probably down to about 40 or so at this point. I've sold off 20-30 over the course of the last couple of months. I probably don't need that many... I seem to reach for the same 10-15 usually. But, it's nice to have options :)

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am afraid @LA Guy might change my username to Heinz, as I am afraid I am perilously close to 57

I am trying to get my arms around what I have accrued. I have 8 Simonnot-Godard squares

1. White linen with orange "shoestring" edging - very useful in summer, be it with a navy hopsack, the Dieworkwear summer tweed, the olive NMWA cotton suit... pretty damn useful. The orange resolves fairly light - almost renders pink
2. More of a fall-winter color scheme. I probably only really wear this in October-ish - not really winter, not for summer...
3. Spring-summer - this is the multicolored square colorway you need.
4. Tablecloth, er, red gingham square.
5. Fricking enormous lemon yellow square. I am not sure if I have ever worn this. I think I had some ordering snafu with Frans Boone years ago, and the square I was looking to buy was unavailable, and I selected this instead.... probably should have asked for store credit instead. I think this may be the physically largest square I own - 18 inch square, perhaps.
6. Hairline blue square picked up from Bryceland's a couple winters ago when I found myself in Tokyo. It delights me, even though I may have only one it a few times in the summer with suits
7. This color tile square is less devoutly fall-winter than #2- the yellows,oranges are less severe
8. Blue gingham square

I think I paid retail for #3, #5, #6. I am pretty sure I got #4 and #8 for a song on the B&S forum here. The rest, probably Barney's, possibly on sale.

I mention that because there is a viewpoint that you should buy what you want when you see it, and not just buy what is on sale. Here however, one of the most useful squares of this lot, #1, is something I probably didn't really know I need, so much that anyone needs any of this.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do we think the appropriate number of pocket squares is for one to own?

What do we think an insane number is?
I have...too many.
I'm probably down to about 40 or so at this point. I've sold off 20-30 over the course of the last couple of months. I probably don't need that many... I seem to reach for the same 10-15 usually. But, it's nice to have options :)

I haven’t counted recently, but I have them separated into two main groups, Spring/Summer and Fall/Winter. Each stack has at least ten. I have also purged with Spoo over the past year.

How many does one need? I would say four or five per season (lumping S/S and F/W together)

How many is too many? Question does not compute….. Although, I keep mine folded in a drawer, so when I get to the point where I can't close the drawer, that might be a clue I need to pare back. I am not there yet.

Mr_natural78

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone here would be able to help me in making a thread choice. I want to make my own pocket squares like these. Anyone know what thread this would be?

white_linen_pocket_square_with_burgundy_red_handrolled_x_stitch_-4714_dsc_4713_2_1.jpg

I have a lot of experience hand sewing leather and have found a tutorial showing how these stitches are done. I am at a loss for sourcing a larger diameter thread like this. The best I've come up with is buttonhole silk twist from superior threads. Their description says it is suitable for hand stithing buttonholes and embellishments. I have ordered large machine thead from them for my cobra class 4 saddle and harness stitcher. Is the buttonhole silk twist suitable for this application or is there a better alternative. I will also attach a picture of a hand sewn leather sheath I made for my round knife. It is hand sewn with 1mm ritza 25 tiger thread. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
20191028_135517.jpg
20191028_135551.jpg

Alocin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have this square and I find it’s pretty damn versatile, as long as I follow SB’s idea which I do. It is a little lighter and slightly warmer than the one you posted but I think it should still work fine.

37063807-BC08-48B6-8D59-6C5CCE5C58B7.jpeg

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have this square and I find it’s pretty damn versatile, as long as I follow SB’s idea which I do. It is a little lighter and slightly warmer than the one you posted but I think it should still work fine.

View attachment 1486047
Ah, the Olof square. I had an opportunity to grab it last year, but didn't. Kind of regret it now. Thanks for your input.

Alocin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, the Olof square. I had an opportunity to grab it last year, but didn't. Kind of regret it now. Thanks for your input.

I waffled on it for a long time but I’m glad I ended up pulling the trigger. He might have some left over if you DM him on IG.

Olmabe

Reaction score
I waffled on it for a long time but I’m glad I ended up pulling the trigger. He might have some left over if you DM him on IG.
I actually e-mailed him last week or so and he told me that restock for PS will happen in approximately 3 weeks.

Olmabe

Reaction score
As someone who does not own a quality PS yet is there a general consensus about the perfect size?

I am currently looking at 33x33cm options but am wondering if they might be too small?

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As someone who does not own a quality PS yet is there a general consensus about the perfect size?

I am currently looking at 33x33cm options but am wondering if they might be too small?
I personally think that 33x33 is to small, especially for silk. They don't make a good looking puff, rather it looks flat. Also, you're not able to puff the PS and have the hand rolled edges sticking out at the same time. The problem is not as significant with wool or blends as they're thicker, but I still prefer a somewhat larger PS than 33x33. Others may have other preferences.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads