1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Pocket Squares: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions.....

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GusW, Mar 1, 2011.

1. DM66

DM66 Senior member

+1............I'm wearing a navy suit to my rehearsal dinner and may just wear a white shirt underneath and was wondering about the pocket square.

2. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I used to not wear ties that often and just wore a pocket square, but now I wear ties most of the time if I'm wearing a sportcoat, and most definitely if I'm wearing a suit. Don't be shy. Just do it. Especially to a rehearsal dinner. If there's one chance to dress up a little, this is it.

Otherwise, what gateslion suggested is fine.

3. Rich0116

Rich0116 Senior member

First off, why are you wearing a suit and no tie? ;)

Kidding aside, IMO the "rules" don't change that much without a tie. Stick to plain colors or simple patterns for a more conservative look; don't explicitly "match" your PS with any other part of your outfit; try to pick a fabric that provides some textural contrast or interest; etc...

I like the idea of a bolder silk PS when going tie-less, especially if you're tie-less with a suit. When I'm tie-less it's usually with slacks and an odd jacket or blazer and I tend to pick a bolder patterned PS to provide visual interest that might otherwise be overkill when wearing a tie as well.

4. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

**update...I got this knot figured out. it is a double 4 in hand, but i was tucking the large end through BOTH, only go through the one on top (hope this makes sense) the material of the tie makes a huge difference. I got it to work on a really lightweight linen tie i had laying around.

5. DM66

DM66 Senior member

I understand what you're saying, Kent. I'm the groom and will be wearing a gray suit for the wedding day and just wanted to be a hair more casual and relaxed for the rehearsal dinner. I like Clooney's look in the previous pictures. I'm thinking of either a white shirt or maybe a light gray shirt. The PS I think maybe should be silk. The suit is plain Navy with no pattern or texture, so I'm not sure exactly what to do to make it pop a little or just go clean with just a white linen PS. Aaahhhhh.....such a neophyte!

6. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Not trying to plan your wedding for you, but in my opinion not wearing a tie to the rehearsal dinner turns down the formality way more than just a hair. I really wouldn't do it. You have plenty of occasions not to wear a tie, and few where it's almost expected. Make the most of this one. Also, many of your guests will likely be wearing ties, and you don't want to be looking like you take the occasion less seriously than they do. If you want to make it more casual, I'd rather go with a SC and tie (but sticking to solids or conservative patterns) than a suit without a tie.

7. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

[​IMG]
    received my 2 pocketsquares from spoo
    (BB shirt from steve smith)
    i guess i need to learn how to do a proper "puff" or some other folds now

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Glad you enjoyed the lightning fast shipping and ultra low prices! :bigstar:

1 person likes this.
  9. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

i need a "how to" tutorial on tie knotting and pocketsquare folding/puffing spoo-style
    :slayer:

10. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

I think the fellas at put this on need to interview spoo. :lol::lol:

11. tbell ncsu

tbell ncsu Member

how should a plain, white pocket handkerchief be worn with a bow tie? straight/tv fold or should i just plop it in there in a seemingly apathetic manner?

12. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's completely up to you. Try both ways and see which you prefer.

13. sugarbutch

If I may be so bold...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

^ I like that. Especially the tie - where is it from? I think I know where you got the PS :)

15. sugarbutch

Thanks, Spoo. Tie and PS both came from the same discount spot. Tie is Polo and PS is Robert Talbott. I picked up another RT PS along with them and I'm wearing it today (I'm just like a little kid who wants to play with his new toys as soon as he gets them home...):

[​IMG]

It appears that the PS was feeling sassy and refused to stay behind the lapel for the picture!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  16. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

That's a great shirt collar, SB.

1 person likes this.
  17. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

sorry to pollute this thread with my poor attempt... but... is this acceptable?
    [​IMG]
    the suit is darker than the picture makes it seem...
    here's another picture of the same suit that shows the color better
    [​IMG]
    ps was puffing out of control so i just drew over it

18. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

^ IMO if the tie was a shade of purple you would be onto a winner.

19. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

was trying to buy a purple RLPL tie on the cheap ...
    but alas

i guess i need to just pull out the PS for now

20. DM66

DM66 Senior member

I posted these on another thread. I really didn't "fold" the squares.....just stuffed em in there so I could get a picture off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]