• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Squares: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions.....

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure others may have some helpful suggestions and maybe even some photos but here are my thoughts: Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! I really like the description of the suits and ties you have selected. It sounds like you have made some very nice choices. What are the bridesmaids and groomsmen doing for flowers and boutonnieres? If the flowers match, wouldn't that be enough of a coordinated look? If all the bridesmaids flowers and groomsmen's boutonnieres match and the pocket squares match the dresses, that could end up looking way too matchy-matchy. A white linen pocket square would be ideal and not compete with the color of the flowers. A white pocket square will almost always photograph better in a wedding setting . There are a lot of groomsmen and wedding party photos on line. You might look at these with your bride-to-be then decide. But, hey, it's your wedding. Do what you want, make her happy on this special day and have fun. Good luck with your wedding plans.
Originally Posted by Bean Counter
My first SF post - been lurking for a couple months now! Did'nt want to post another wedding attire thread, and my question is related to the pocket square so figure here is a great place to post. I am getting married in June. The groomsmen are wearing medium grey suits with wedding ties in a black/white houndstooth pattern. My fiancee insists in having a bit of matching between the groomsmen and bridsemaids which I am fine with, and I think the pocket square would be a good place to do it. The bridesmaids are wearing a light seafoam green/blue color. I found a great match in color in Sam Hober's grenadine silk. Do you think adding in this subtle green/blue (almost silver) will be appropriate with the men's outfit described? I personally think the texture of the grenadine will be a nice addition to the look, my only concern was adding a color to an otherwise monochrome look, but my gut instinct is a pop of color would be nice. The other option would be a light pink linen square from Kent Wang (which would match the flowers and complement the seafoam). Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions!

Bean Counter

Reaction score
Thanks pocketsquareguy, for the advice.

We've been through a ton of pics, unfortunately all the magazines tend to lean towards a fully matched ensemble...there are some nice ideas out there but unfortunately they are the exception, and not the rule.

I thought we might be too matchy-matchy. The boutonnieres will be handmade with a single small light pink silk flower to match the bridesmaids white/pink bouquets. I think the men in monochrome with white PS and the single pink flower to break it all up would look brilliant.

I suppose its up to me to convince the wife.

Any dissenting opinions out there?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose its up to me to convince the wife.

Just consider this practice for marriage.
smile.gif

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are a few basic folds and very good advice at 4:00

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Bean Counter: without getting too deep into the rest of things, you might want to e-mail Hober. I have heard terrible things about their lead times on ties - not sure if those would apply to squares as well. Given that you are getting married in June, you may simply find that Hober is not an option. Others may have more specific input; I haven't ever ordered from Hober myself. I've been tempted, but as I've read some things about 8-month lead times, I got cold feet.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
More examples.

Gold and blue silk square with gray suit and brown grenadine necktie.

Tan and white checked silk square with gray suit and tan on black madder necktie.

White linen square with a blue suit, lavender shirt and navy blue knit necktie.

Gold printed silk square with a gray suit and black cashmere glen check necktie.

A square should ideally be a different material from the necktie, ie linen square with a silk tie, and should complement but be different from the rest of the day's clothing. That can be as similar as repeating a color but a different texture and pattern, or as different as the gold square in the photo to the right where it repeats nothing but still harmonizes.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought we might be too matchy-matchy. The boutonnieres will be handmade with a single small light pink silk flower to match the bridesmaids white/pink bouquets. I think the men in monochrome with white PS and the single pink flower to break it all up would look brilliant.

I think you are right.

In the future, maybe you should be the one selecting the furniture
smile.gif

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Bean Counter: without getting too deep into the rest of things, you might want to e-mail Hober....... Others may have more specific input; I haven't ever ordered from Hober myself. I've been tempted......
Douglas, In 2008 which was a long time ago we had a very long wait time for ties since then our average time is roughly one week to make a necktie order and one or two days to make a pocket square plus mailing time. Note we have never had a long wait to make pocket squares. Also we have been in business for 50 years and that was the only year that we have had long wait times for orders. Our long term track record is about 99%+ on schedule. Also for weddings we can make an order in a couple of days if need be most of the time. We have never been slow for wedding orders. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions we would be very happy to make a tie for you.

CaymanS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
More examples.

Gold and blue silk square with gray suit and brown grenadine necktie.

Tan and white checked silk square with gray suit and tan on black madder necktie.

White linen square with a blue suit, lavender shirt and navy blue knit necktie.

Gold printed silk square with a gray suit and black cashmere glen check necktie.

A square should ideally be a different material from the necktie, ie linen square with a silk tie, and should complement but be different from the rest of the day's clothing. That can be as similar as repeating a color but a different texture and pattern, or as different as the gold square in the photo to the right where it repeats nothing but still harmonizes.

Second from the right is my favorite, except for the way the tie sits in the collar. You're pulling a Geithner:

4m5g8r2

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads