Pocket Squares: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions.....

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GusW, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

^ Those are good, except I cannot endorse the poof+points thing.

Yeah, that seems like an expert only move. [​IMG]

2. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

I really hate most folds. I usually just do either a simple puff or a neat corners-out fold anymore. Points up is a little too out there for me, and I usually find they look all limp after a bit anyways. As for those fancy mountain folds and such... they're just not for me.

I rarely wear a tie anymore, and I am a huge fan of just a square with a jacket and open-necked shirt for a casual but refined, elegant look.

I have recently discovered just what a huge difference a high-quality hand roll looks in acing the look.

3. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

4. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

^ +1. Nothing too origami for me.

5. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

6. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

Tell us more.

- B

Just bought my first couple of Drake's squares (thank you to The Armoury) and I'm just loving how these look. see photo for what i've got on right now.
    [​IMG]

7. comrade

comrade Senior member

It is quite common in Italy to wear your sport coat and scarf. And, Italian men aren't shy about wearing bold colors and patterns. Here is a recent pic of Salvatore (the well known Naples tailor specializing in pants) on his visit to San Francisco with his jacket and scarf.

[​IMG]

Diego's photo was taken at the opening of his Fay store in Milan. He is wearing a Fay scarf.

In the Bay Area were we have mild winter weather, I often wear a scarf with a SC. A coat would be too warm. However, my choice of scarves is far more subtle than my Italian friends.

In addition, the tradition of wearing a scarf and a jacket go way back here in the USA. It was certainly popular with ivy league and prep school types to wear a solid or striped scarf and a well worn tweed or corduroy jacket to football games and rugby matches in the 60's and 70's. Here is a more recent ivy league look showing a suit with a scarf

[​IMG]

As an Ivy Leaguer from the 60s, I can say that the only scarves that were evident at football games,
    and the like, were those displaying the school colors. Wearing a scarf with a sport coat on campus
    in general was considered fey and the subject of opprobrium by the "regular guys"

8. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Just bought my first couple of Drake's squares (thank you to The Armoury) and I'm just loving how these look. see photo for what i've got on right now.

Looks great. Thanks for sharing, Doug.

9. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

[​IMG]

I love that square, great colors against the blue jacket. Where's it from?

10. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I especially like Luciano Barbera's relaxed, seemingly effortless fold. It is also a nice accent color and pattern to his jacket.

[​IMG]
    [/IMG]

11. GusW

12. GusW

Mr Bean shows us all how to solve our pocket square questions once and for all [​IMG] Fast Forward to 4:00....
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

13. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Here are a few suggestions for wearing a pocket square:

1)\tWhen in doubt, skip it.
    2)\tOn the fence? Wear the white linen one.
    3)\tThere is more to wearing pocket squares than a TV fold. That too shall pass.....again as it did in the 60's and look dated. Enjoy the look now, but work on other folds. Try them all and enjoy the variety.
    4)\tThere are ugly pocket squares out there. If not sure if you own one see #1.
    5)\tWear colors that are in harmony with the season. Some, not all, look their best in spring/ summer or fall/winter. Put them away with your other seasonal ties, socks, etc. Of course, some colors and patterns are appropriate year-round and keep those in regular rotation.

PSG pointed this thread out to me. I say

1) What else is the pocket for?
    2) Not bad advice, but avoid plain white linen with sport coats if they aren't blue. There are better options and white linen tends to look better with suits.
    4) There sure are.
    5) Agreed. But while some seem to avoid patterned linen in fall/winter, I think they can look great.

14. mmkn

mmkn Senior member

expert [​IMG]

I like it!

[​IMG]

- M

15. Bean Counter

Bean Counter Well-Known Member

My first SF post - been lurking for a couple months now! Did'nt want to post another wedding attire thread, and my question is related to the pocket square so figure here is a great place to post.

I am getting married in June. The groomsmen are wearing medium grey suits with wedding ties in a black/white houndstooth pattern. My fiancee insists in having a bit of matching between the groomsmen and bridsemaids which I am fine with, and I think the pocket square would be a good place to do it.

The bridesmaids are wearing a light seafoam green/blue color. I found a great match in color in Sam Hober's grenadine silk. Do you think adding in this subtle green/blue (almost silver) will be appropriate with the men's outfit described? I personally think the texture of the grenadine will be a nice addition to the look, my only concern was adding a color to an otherwise monochrome look, but my gut instinct is a pop of color would be nice. The other option would be a light pink linen square from Kent Wang (which would match the flowers and complement the seafoam).

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions!