• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Squares: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions.....

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If Sam Hober did this Wool Challis pattern, in green I'd be set on the HM Green

Thanks for those pictures, they've certainly shown the PS versatility.

CHPT-2F_copy.jpg

Go to the 25 thumb thread and you'll see that what you're thinking doesn't always fit. :D

Stonesy88

Reaction score
Sorry to come across as dense, what are you referring to? Pic No.25 is some garish white dotted tie and a blue square...

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Cleav can you provide the details of the 2nd and 4th tie? They're phenomenal.

Note: obviously the square is great, as well
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

@Cleav
 can you provide the details of the 2nd and 4th tie? They're phenomenal.

Note: obviously the square is great, as well 
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

You're very kind, thanks

Mate, both EG Cappelli. Green one three fold, blue one seven fold unlined IIRC

Stonesy88

Reaction score
I've just looked Cappelli has that fabric still in stock (green), I nearly choked when I put all the options on and it went upto 160 euros.

I just ordered this instead, which is a "similar" pattern, 7-Fold, the works 85 euros

wjenks

Reaction score
What's your opinion on this type of finishing on Pocket Squares?

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're very kind, thanks

Mate, both EG Cappelli. Green one three fold, blue one seven fold unlined IIRC
How is the wrinkle resistance of the 7 fold unlined? I'm so tempted to try one, but I'm afraid I might be too harsh on it, as I tie a fairly tight knot.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

How is the wrinkle resistance of the 7 fold unlined? I'm so tempted to try one, but I'm afraid I might be too harsh on it, as I tie a fairly tight knot.

I don't think it's an issue eric, as I have never considered it.

every time I've picked it up it is wrinkle free, ready to go

On the whole I prefer a tighter knot and like some heft with it so the knot on the seven folds i have come up pretty sleek as I think can be seen in the difference between those two pics.

End of the day, all good :D

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

just curious, how to distinguish machine rolled vs hand rolled?

Also, i am looking for a good white linen pocket square, any good suggestion?

You need to start by asking the maker where the linen comes from - you should be thinking about Belgian and French linen only.

Italian linen and linen/cotton can be beautiful but the flax is probably not from Italy.

Next, think about the texture if you want to focus on crisp folds pure Belgian and French linen is a good choice - for puffs consider an Italian linen/cotton mix.

For the edges look at the number of small stitches the more the better - look for 5 to 10 per inch.

Irregular large puffy edges are done very quickly and not very elegant - but on occasion some men may prefer that look - it is a personal style choice.

Then look at the quality of the corners they should be perfect mitered edges like a picture frame.

If the edges are a contrast color they should not be a different color sewn on they should be woven, printed or painted.

Ask the maker how long it takes to sew the pocket square - it should take more than an hour to do perfectly, and as the pocket square is being made you need to constantly be checking the balance.

alansee89

Reaction score

You need to start by asking the maker where the linen comes from - you should be thinking about Belgian and French linen only.

Italian linen and linen/cotton can be beautiful but the flax is probably not from Italy.

Next, think about the texture if you want to focus on crisp folds pure Belgian and French linen is a good choice - for puffs consider an Italian linen/cotton mix.

For the edges look at the number of small stitches the more the better - look for 5 to 10 per inch.

Irregular large puffy edges are done very quickly and not very elegant - but on occasion some men may prefer that look - it is a personal style choice.

Then look at the quality of the corners they should be perfect mitered edges like a picture frame.

If the edges are a contrast color they should not be a different color sewn on they should be woven, printed or painted.

Ask the maker how long it takes to sew the pocket square - it should take more than an hour to do perfectly, and as the pocket square is being made you need to constantly be checking the balance.

Thx v much! v informative!
You advise to about where the linen comes from
How about Irish linen?
Just did a breif search in google, Irish linen is similar quality as Belgian linen?

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thx v much! v informative!
You advise to about where the linen comes from
How about Irish linen?
Just did a breif search in google, Irish linen is similar quality as Belgian linen?

AlanSee89,

A long time ago Irish linen was very good quality.

Currently they are marketing linen made with imported lower quality flax as "Irish linen"

So no it is not the same quality as Belgian and French linen, and I do not suggest it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads