1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Pocket Squares: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions.....

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GusW, Mar 1, 2011.

1. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

So, I have been stuffing my PS into a square jar but want to fold them flat now. Question, how do I get rid of the wrinkles?

They all have wrinkle lines that go down the center of the square where you would pinch and fold when wearing.

2. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Don't worry about the wrinkles—I don't.

But if you really care, you could hang them with the pocket square hanging clips available from my site.

[​IMG]

If that still doesn't work, you can iron them gently, low temperature, iron the reverse side. You could use a cloth to protect the square, but I don't find it necessary.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  3. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

Beautiful pocket-square

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2014
  4. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

The most common pocket square has to be white linen. I have one from Kent Wang and find myself using it 98 % of the times.

Just make sure you purchase one with hand rolled edges, like Kent Wang's. The hand work is really excellent on it.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  5. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

I don't find it boring, but stylistically pure, easy to match and not out there.

Seeing you're looking for boldness, I may be the wrong guy to ask as I rarely wear something bold. The most bold item I own is Crockett & Jones' Westbourne, which I'm trying to get darker to mute them. But have a look at Patrizio Cappelli's paisley pocket squares. I own some of them. They're bold, but muted color wise. They're madder print.

If you're looking for bolder than that have a look at Passaggio Cravatte (user Gianni Cerrutti). He wear bold colors and does an excellent job.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  6. Gianni Cerutti

Thank you very much for your kind words.

7. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

8. piraca

piraca Member

I have not checked out a Kent Wang pocket square but have sampled a few variants of hand rolled and stitched. Quite difficult to master I have to say. Getting a regular hand stitch with a fairly fine hem requires a lot of skill. A machine stitch on the same hem often repeats on the corners several times to reinforce it - also undesirable on a pocket square.

9. piraca

piraca Member

Silk quality and preference is difficult to quantify remotely. Best case, would be to sample in person but this may be difficult in practice, especially from suppliers. My preference from what I have sampled would be satin, thicker grade. If feels softer and more substantial to the touch. If the design on the square is fairly uniform then perhaps good to opt for a woven pattern to lift it a little. Another thing to watch our for in silk is a slipped thread. It runs across the roll and is sometimes only noticeable after the patterning.

10. CSCoHammers7

CSCoHammers7 Senior member

Hey everyone, I've been subscribed to this thread as a lurker for a long time now, and I'm constantly blown away by the squares posted here by vendors and users alike. It's always cool to see how everyone likes to stuff their squares as well! I know Seaward & Stearn pops up in here from time to time, so I figured I'd contribute something for once and share our small buy at Drinkwater's for S/S14 from them:

(x-posted from our Drinkwater's affiliate thread HERE)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    100% Linen

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    78% Cotton, 20% Modal, 2% Cashmere

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    100% Silk

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    100% Silk

Sorry the pictures aren't anywhere near as beautiful as many posted in this thread, but unfortunately all I have is my phone to take pics for the time being. I tried my best to show the color accurately in the natural sunlight, but I included indoor comparison shots as well in the spoilers. #3 specifically is closer to the turquoise from the inside pic.

Maybe in the future I'll work up the courage to post a fit pic... My square collection is still very humble but growing slowly, and I take a lot of cues from you guys on how to rock it in the pocket :slayer:

3 people like this.
  11. piraca

piraca Member

:) Guilty, we have the Carpe diem.
    Somewhat more diminutive than Big Ben. Maybe need to aim higher!

12. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Mate, I didn't even consider keeping PS in a jar, not a bad idea I suppose though those wrinkles wouldn't work for me.

I box mine up in the study. Worth a go?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. Gianni Cerutti

Very nice combination...compliments

15. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

X-post from WAYWRN:

Made it from a small size ladies' scarf. This is the fabric that I used for the PS:

[​IMG]

It's a rather coarse textured, non-shiny silk. I got it from a very common chain of batik stores that can be found all over Indonesia.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
    4 people like this.
  16. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I like those colors. I've looked at a lot of other batiks before and this one is neater and cleaner.

17. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Thanks. Probably it helps that I'm living in Jakarta and shops that sell batik are everywhere, so I browse the shops ever so often.
    Still, it's taken me a lot of patience and luck to find a few that I found acceptable.

18. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

That is actually very pretty, 'warms' up the suit in a way

I'd buy if you were to make another..

hint hint

Last edited: May 1, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  19. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

X-post from WAYWRN:

1 person likes this.
  20. Henry Carter