1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Pocket Squares: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions.....

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GusW, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member

The above differentiation in silk seems to me important to consider when I look for pocket squares. Hermes is high quality at high price.

2. DjangoV

DjangoV Well-Known Member

Picked up 2 similar patterned (different color combinations) PS in a thrift yesterday. Decided to try 1 today, which I thought would go well with a green tie. Is the link between the green tie and green background of the PS too subtle?

Sorry for the lousy pic (and lousy fold/puff for that matter; first time ever I wear anything other than classic white fold):
    [​IMG]

3. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I like the combo. The tie knot, on the other hand, I do not.

4. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

5. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

[​IMG]

And here's another of our pocket-square vintage still hand-printed many years ago, getting all hemmed by hand ..

2 people like this.
  6. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

This just in

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  7. Syeknom

Syeknom Senior member

That one's a stunner in person, regret not grabbing it

8. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Nice. I just snagged one of the 'Dancing Elephant' style at the Nieman's sale.

9. sugarbutch

I think I've been in NM once in 15 years here.

10. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'll see if I can summarize a few points from my perspective and experience.

- Sometimes I like the look of no pocket square when I want a more minimalistic overall look or when wearing a very expressive scarf.
    -You don't need a lot of them. A few in the right colors and patterns will serve you very well.
    -I recommend a white linen, a couple of 100% silk and a couple in a mix of wool/silk (wool/silk for fall/winter). You might want a cotton one for spring/summer. All look best with hand rolled and hand sewn edges.
    -For size it depends entirely on the weight of the fabric. I have 18" ones that have less bulk than 12" ones so there is no rule.
    -When I buy a square I open it up, grab the middle, give it a twist and jam it into my chest pocket. If too bulky I don't buy it.
    -For patterns aside from your all white linen, get one with polka dots, one with a medium sized paisley pattern and then (my favorite) very large sweeping paisley. I avoid small paisleys because they too often are similar in size to patterns on many ties.
    -For color basics get solid white linen, a blue and white pattern, a brick or paprika colored pattern, purple pattern, brown and deep blue or deep gold and navy is nice as well. Of course the actual shade should compliment the color of your favorite jackets and accessories. I love a bright, multiple colored plaid cotton for summer.
    - I avoid pocket squares with obvious graphic images and icons. They are fun for a party or travel, but not when trying to make a more elegant or professional appearance.
    - Cheap silk fabrics look cheap and often have odd shades of color. Avoid these.
    - For cotton or linen pocket squares the finest are made by Simonnot-Godard. Different retailers sell different sizes. Their linen is fairly bulky so go for the smaller size if in doubt.
    -I think the most creative and expressive silk or silk/wool pocket squares are made by Etro. Many are rather wild combinations of patterns and colors. But when jammed into your pocket, they take on a whole different look. Certainly not for everyone but they are an ideal way to add something extra to a solid colored or traditional patterned jacket.

For expressive pocket squares, aside from Etro, I highly recommend seeking out the British company Seaward & Stearn. They have beautiful color combinations and patterns. These are the ones to consider when you can show a little more color and flair such as for parties, heading out for drinks, travel, etc. They have a nice assortment of designs in cotton, silk and wool blends.

But, get your basic colors and patterns first before starting to assemble a range of more colorful and graphic pocketsquares. The expressive ones are nice to have at the right time, but most often I grab one of five or so of my classic colors and patterns. Plus the classics tend to mix and match with more jackets and tie combos ...that is why they are classic.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
    6 people like this.
  11. GusW

Mustard is one of my favorite seasonal colors for Fall/winter. It rarely works in the spring/summer but is an ideal color with cool weather and winter fabric colors. Nice choice Sugar.

12. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

Does anyone happen to have one of those Drake's unicorn pocket squares that they would be willing to sell? I would pay a good price for one or two, or three. I lost mine in a game of baccarat!

1 person likes this.
  13. woolymammoth

woolymammoth Senior member

I wish Hermes would make this shawl into a pocket-square...

[​IMG]

14. sugarbutch

Thanks, Gus! Your opinion on these matters is always valuable. I want to get another wool/silk from Drakes (or maybe Seaward & Stearn?) in a muted green, either olive or forest. After that, I need to get my hands on one of those Simonnot Godard colored plaids for S/S. They never seem to go on sale, so I guess I'll have to pay full freight.

15. GusW

^^^They had a few Simonnot Godard plaids on sale at Barneys SF the other day. Hurry, you might see one. If not there, Neiman Marcus SF had a several on sale. Opportunity knocks!

NM also had quite few Drakes on sale for Winter as well as summer. I think they brought in a load for their sale. Great prices.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  16. MTB-85

MTB-85 Well-Known Member

17. terrorsquad

terrorsquad Senior member

Anyone bought pocket squares from the Rubinacci webshop?eyeing a few of them especially the Victory square but have no idea on the postage and service if we buy direct from the webshop

18. Chopper88

Chopper88 Senior member

I did on the old website, but have canceled my order after having contact. I had chosen two, but both were out of stock, I got an email the day after with the ones that were in stock and had the choice of a refund or replacements. I chose the refund. Hope they keep better stock at this time. I also hope they come with some new squares soon!

The shipping price was shown directly when ordering, did you try to add something and 'proceed to checkout' ?

Regarding service, there wasn't any issue. The English is a bit off at some points, but still understandable, and overall pretty quick responses when mailing back and forth.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  19. GusW

I have to agree with you on this. I'm surprised to see that machine sewn edge from Drakes. But, I know I'm one of the only people on the forum who isn't much of a fan of Drakes pocket squares. I don't care for most of their designs however I do like their color combinations.

20. GusW

A Suitable Wardrobe has some Rubinacci squares for sale. One thing about ASW, the online operations are super efficient. You know immediately if something is in stock, when it was shipped and how.