1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Pocket Squares: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions.....

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GusW, Mar 1, 2011.

1. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

2. Syeknom

Syeknom Senior member

Ordered the Egyptian one this morning! New designs are lovely.

3. Renton

Renton Senior member

+1, is it so much to ask?

4. w.o.e.is.me.

w.o.e.is.me. Senior member

Thanks guys. I was waiting a bit to introduce my brand to SF.
    But yes, I'm very happy with thr products and site (and high lapels).

5. TiesNecktie

TiesNecktie Senior member

Great combination. I am a big fan of double breasted suits. What shoes did you wear with this?

1 person likes this.
  6. scotchman

scotchman Well-Known Member

Great thread. I agree with pocketsquareguy's first post. When opting the start wearing pocket squares, start simple. Then, work on folds and find other styles as you learn how to subtly accent your tie and make your suit look that much better. A good pocket square can make all the difference in the world and creates a real sophisticated impression on the regular navy suit, navy tie (if any tie) wearers of today.

7. atoms

atoms Senior member

This is the Lindisfarne Gospels square as sold at Kent Wang. Forgive the poor camera photo. I do not wear ties often, and I'm sure I'm breaking numerous "styleforum rules" but I did want to post my satisfaction with the square. The size and weight is just right. The center of the square is a bit of a turquoise color which goes great with sky blue shirts (such as in the photo). And the red edge adds a fairly dramatic flair if that's your thing. It's easy enough to avoid the turquoise and get more of the navy if you go off center a bit. I think it's a nice square that's quite versatile considering the amount of color/pattern.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Hacking jacket

Hacking jacket Senior member

Very tasteful and well balanced.

9. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm a big fan of a 16" square. With the exception of a few heavier-weight fabrics, and our vintage kimono fabrics, all our PTO squares are that size. The kimono fabrics are actually woven at about 13" wide, so those are smaller for the reason. The occasional heavier fabric we just want to avoid a fat pocket.

10. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

These [​IMG] Thanks for the complement! Folks here and on other threads can tell you that even blind squirrels get a nut once in a while. I just got lucky on this one.

11. Hacking jacket

+1
    Shoes need a polish

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  12. Herky210

Herky210 Member

Thanks for this. I have trouble visualizing the new Kent Wang squares of historic prints and their versatility without a photo like yours. Curious how The Big Wave looks. Maybe Kent has shots of all of these in use.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  13. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I have the Great Wave on my profile pic and here:

[​IMG]

It's incredibly versatile, depending on how you fold it you can either have white, cream, grey, light blue, dark blue, brown or a combination of those colors. Here I chose for a combination of cream, light blue and grey.

14. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

I am too! My favorite and most used squares are probably Drake's at 42cm (16.5"), Seaward & Stearn (16") and Vanda (15"). 12" just seems too small although I do wear my 13" Great Wave square quite often too.

15. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. atoms

atoms Senior member

May I ask which square this is please?

17. Herky210

Herky210 Member

Thanks for posting the pic - that really helps get a sense for how to best use these Kent Wang prints. Seems like the Lindisfarne Gospels would be more useful for me and it is one I never would have considered. Although, I really like the Great Wave print.

2 people like this.
  18. Hacking jacket

If you work next to the British Museum (who acquired one of the original great wave prints) you get so bored of great wave merchandise (watches, ties, umbrellas), but the concept of a ps that supports the tie and/or shirt is timeless

19. Hacking jacket

Oh that's held by the British Library (just up the road from BM) and isn't heavily merchandised, so I'll +1 to that

20. ILoveSportCoats

ILoveSportCoats Active Member

Hello,

Looking for advice.

I am new to the pocket square art.

I saw this pocket square in a store (sorry for the quality of the picture). It is a silk pocket square with a nice green background and small white polka dots. Would you recommend this square? Should this go with a crisp white dress shirt? Are the small white polka dots visible enough to coordinate with such a shirt? I don't wear ties often, except for work, so I am looking for a pocket square that somehow coordinates with the shirt. But I don't see myself wearing a green shirt anytime soon. Sp could this pocket square also be worn with a light blue shirt?

This pocket square is quite expensive, so I need to be sure before I make any decision to purchase.

Thank you for reading.

ILoveSportCoats

[​IMG]